x

Accidentally accepted as Cash instead of Credit Card....now what?

I was taking a $35 credit card payment on my iPad and accidentally tapped CASH instead of credit card.  The $35 amount does show up in my report, but now my bank deposit is $35 off.  Where’s the cash amount? And how do I amend this?

Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Smp

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on this exact situation. 

Unfortunately payments recorded as "Cash" will not be deposited since the funds were supposed to be physically handed to you directly by your customer. 

Since no card was processed, there wouldn't be anything for us to debit or deposit. You'll want to reach out to your customer if you happened to have their contact information so that you can run their card for the right amount. 

View Best Answer >

Message 20 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Super Seller

Correct, there’s no fee for taking a cash transaction. The System just records it for your sales report 

Message 22 of 37

I did my first transaction the other day but when i entered the customers card info i guess i hit the cash button instead of card and still havent received my payment.. Any idea how i fix this?

Message 23 of 37

Hi @EricaW

I've moved your post to this existing thread that touches on the same issue. 

Unfortunately you'll need to reach out to the customer to complete the payment. 

Message 24 of 37

I had  4 transactions go through within 15 minutes but this morning I saw it stated no sale what should I 

Message 25 of 37

Hi @Green4fun

I'm moving your post over to a thread that exists in the Community about this issue.

Unfortunately you're going to have to work it out with the customers to get the sale if you rang it in as cash/other. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 37

I was in the cash mode when I took two or three credit card payments, I believe they signed once they swiped, but because I was in the offline mode I wasn't aware but not being accepted. I am not finding a completed transaction for those three customers, it never said they were pending either. Is there any way to recover those swipes and turn those into credit card payments? Or am I out the money? When I saw it was a cash transaction before they swiped, the other options on that page where shaded and I could not click on them.

Message 27 of 37

Hi @Inahuri

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Unfortunately there's not much we can help with in regards to payments accepted as cash since no payment card information was processed. 

Check out the Best Answer in this thread, and give our CS team a call if you need more details about the payment. 

Message 28 of 37

My first time using the square over the weekend it looks like I accidentally chose cash, but when I swiped their credit card it confirmed processed, but I did not get paid according to my square report. If it confirmed, did I not get paid because it was listed as cash? Shouldn’t there be a record of the swipe? Any idea?

Message 29 of 37

I had an internet glitch that put a credit card sale to cash. How can I change it to credit without the card?

Message 30 of 37

Hello, I am missing transfers into my bank account and after looking at a transactions report I am noticing that for the days missing, the transaction has "N/A" under Card Entry, no fees are deducted and the Card Brand is blank.  Can someone let me know why this is and how to prevent it in the future?  Can I get this money or is it "lost"?  Also what is a Dipped vs. Tapped interac transaction?

Thank you very much.

Message 31 of 37
Alumni

@GKCSA

Sounds like those payments were processed as cash or other tender which means no card was processed, but I'd reach out to CS to confirm those payments since I don't have access to specifics on your account. 

If this is the case, you'll need to reach out to your customers to reprocess the payment properly if you have contact info for them. To prevent this is the future, you can customize the payment types in your POS settings to only allow the payment methods accepted at your biz. 

Justin
Message 32 of 37

On 2019 report has five amount of 999.999.99 didn't happen. Take off my report

Message 33 of 37

Hi there, @theresabrowm735 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you.

Just to make sure I am understanding your post correctly, it sounds like you may have a couple different transactions that are listed as $999,999.99, correct? 

If so, this is considered an Accidental Cash transaction - and we see it quite often. While there is no way to delete this transaction all together, the best way to balance your books and insure these transactions don't reflect on your year-end reporting would be to refund each accidental transaction individually.

For record keeping purpose, I am merging your post into an existing thread of other Sellers who also experienced similar issues. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions. I am here to help!

Joe
Message 34 of 37

The stupid thing about this whole thread is no one ever fixed the problem?  The transaction gets canceled and can't be remarked as "Other" for a Venmo payment if it accidentally got marked as cash.
So you "Other" payments won't be totaled correctly, that doesn't work for everyone.  What's the solution Square?

Message 35 of 37
Super Seller

There’s a solution. You have to refund the transaction that you accidentally marked as cash and then ring up the transaction again using the proper payment method. Once a transaction is finalized then it’s unable to be deleted so it has to be refunded, exchanged , etc. it’s done that way so it leaves an audit trail for bookkeeping purposes 

Message 36 of 37

Also there are no link to the related to the other thread that the questions are more related to.  Not helpful.

Message 37 of 37