x

Add Images to Variations or Options for POS

Hi, I am new to square and know that you can add images to item variations on Square Online, but I am wondering if there is a way to add an image to variations or options for regular POS. 

For example under the catergory "Bowls", I have an item "Small Bowls" with several variations/options based on the type/shape (Square, Ruffle, Cone, etc). The names of all the shapes and types of pottery we have can be hard to remember for staff and I am hoping to be able to add a picture of each type of pottery to its corresponding variation or option.  

TL;DR I am hoping to be able to add a picture of each type of item to its corresponding variation or option, is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Hello @madebyme,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Currently the ability to label categories within our point of sale system with images is a feature request. We only have the option to change the color label of the category. 

We definitely see how it could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 7

Thanks! Good to know.

I'm not trying to label categories though, I'm trying to lable options/variations with an image. Is there a way to do this, or is this a feature request as well?

Message 3 of 7
Alumni

@madebyme I'm so sorry, I mean to include that this also applies to images as well. It is a feature request at the moment. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 7

Ahh, no worries! I had misunderstood and didn't realize you meant categories generally, versus the "Categories" section. Thanks for your help! Hopefully Square will consider this update.

Message 5 of 7
Square Champion

Would it be much trouble to have all of your small bowls as their own items? I have smaller categories in square and then when I do my own reports, I'll categorize things in larger groups. For instance, I own a bakery and have various categories of things that would be pre-ordered: cookies, cakes, macarons, pies, etc. Then when I'm looking at my general categories, I combine all of those in my reports. So I have 40% retail, 20% weddings, 20% pre-ordered, 20% merchandise. Then I use the categories in square to essentially have sub categories on my spreadsheet. Easier for me to do the math to add a couple categories together to get a total on a bigger caterogy and have more information. 

So I'm thinking you have Small Bowls and Large Bowls (I'm just guessing) as categories in square. And then when you're looking at bowls versus other things, you just add the totals of small and large? 

Just thoughts! 😄 Welcome to square!

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 6 of 7

@sugarlab  Hi! Thanks for your input, it's interesting to see how other folks are getting the system to work for them!! The way you group your categories for reporting may be something to look into. 

The way I have it set up is that "Bowls" is its own Category and within that "Small Bowls" and "Large Bowls" as well as other kinds of bowls are individual items. The small bowls have "Cone, Ruffle, Footed, Squat" as variations with their own stock for each type.

Unfortunately yes, it would probably too much trouble to have each type be their own item. Because it is a paint your own pottery shop, it is easier both for inventory and ease of point of sale use to have items set up the way I described above. If we made each type of piece individual items we would have, for example maybe a hundred mugs as individual items. Versus one size of mug as an item with each type of that size as an option. 

Hence my dilema, it would be nice to be able to have a visual for each variation or option 😕 Thank you for your thoughts though, definitely something to think about.

Message 7 of 7