x

Which credit cards are accepted by Square?

Are all credit cards accepted by Square?

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square can definitely process US-issued (and also most internationally-issued) magstripe and chip cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo.

The following card types are accepted through Square:

• Credit
  • Corporate
  • Debit (processed as a credit transaction)
  • Prepaid
  • Rewards

I hope this helps to clear things up. Let me know if you have any other questions about accepted cards. 💳 😎

View Best Answer >

Message 15 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Super Seller Alumni

@BigDog Here is a link to answer your question. Hope it helps.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5085-accepted-cards

Message 2 of 41

Excellent! Thank you for your help Ron.

Message 3 of 41

Can you still use the magnstrip device if a customer has a chip in their credit card?  I had several of my customers dispute the charges since I didn't use a chip reader

Message 4 of 41
Alumni

Hi @mrbills07 - While you can take chip cards with the Magstripe reader, we recommend using the Contactless + Chip Reader due to the EMV Liability Shift. The Contactless + Chip Reader will protect you from EMV payment disputes since it compliant with the EMV system.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 41

I had a customer disputed a charge while I was using the maga reader and she had a chip card.  She said in the dispute that the charge should have been done with a chip reader not a maga reader.  The purchase was for $25.00 and she signed for the purchase but still refused to pay.  Square  honored the purchase and said that if another person disputes a charge, I would be responsible.  So if you  can still use the maga reader this could happen again.  Thanks  mrbills07

Message 6 of 41

@mrbills07 yes. 

If you process a chip card through a magstripe reader, you would be held liable for the payment dispute. 

Message 7 of 41

Does square accept American Express cards?

Message 8 of 41
Super Seller

Message 9 of 41

Does Square accept American Express credit cards?

Message 10 of 41
Square Community Moderator

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Can I accept Amex?”. The original author has been notified via email.

Hi @Rey1

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Seller Community 🙌🏼

Here'e an existing thread that answers your question. Check out the link provided and let me know if you have any other questions 👍🏼

Message 11 of 41

Thanks!

Message 12 of 41

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Is square discontinuing accepting Visa as of Oct 18th 2017?”.

Help!  Is square no longer accepting Visa after Oct 18th?

Message 13 of 41
Super Seller

Message 14 of 41
Alumni

Best Answer

Square can definitely process US-issued (and also most internationally-issued) magstripe and chip cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo.

The following card types are accepted through Square:

• Credit
  • Corporate
  • Debit (processed as a credit transaction)
  • Prepaid
  • Rewards

I hope this helps to clear things up. Let me know if you have any other questions about accepted cards. 💳 😎

Message 15 of 41

This past weekend 6/8/19 -6/10/19 two different customers both with Amex card declined 3 times ea. Its very embarrassing to have Square not to work. Its frustrating to not have deposits go through when my business counts on payments to be on time. Please contact me at farmtotable808@gmail.com

Message 16 of 41
Super Seller

Square isn't going to contact you, but you can reach out to them.  I'll post the info below on how to call or email.

Card declines can happen for 100s of reasons and 99.9% of the declines happen on the customer's credit card issuing bank.  reasons like out of their buying pattern or out of their normal buying area, or too far away from the last physical payment location and lots of other reasons that a fraud department algorithm can decline a card, plus the other standard NSF or too close to limit etc.  if it declines the first time it is going to decline the second and third time (unless ultra rare circumstance of a card misread).  correlation does not equal causation, and in this case, they just happened to both be AMEX cards but we accepted over 50 Amex card payments this weekend so they do work.

You'll need your customer code to call.  Follow the instructions below on how to get it.

https://squareup.com/help/contact

Click “More”

Click "I don't see my issue"

Click "Call Support"

Write down your Customer Code

Call 1  855  700  6000

Depending on your specific account, you might not have phone support available, or you might have limited hours of support. If your account doesn't have phone support, Email is the only way to communicate so that there is proper documentation of the conversations.

if you have a smartphone you can program the phone number with the code into your phone so it will be there next time, store it like this 1  855  700  6000,,xxxxxxxxxxxx. (your code goes where the xs are)(remove the spaces in the phone number).  The commas tell the phone to wait 3 seconds each and will automatically enter it for you.  Once you set this up one time it is there for all future needs and you won't have to go get your code again.

Message 17 of 41

Same.  I've had two visa gift cards decline in same day!

Message 18 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MelCook  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with this payment has brought you to the Seller Community.

I can certainly provide some general information on why a payment may have failed, but we won't be able to pinpoint what's happening without looking at your account and transactions with you, which we aren't able to do via the Seller Community. 

For this type of issue, I suggest that you get in touch with our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 41

How do I except American Express card manually?

Message 20 of 41

Can I receive payments with the Walmart Visa Gift Card through the card reader?

Message 21 of 41