x

Best way (what's needed) to take credit card pymts by phone or in person?

I am looking into Square and wanting to be sure I get the right items or whatever would be needed to be able to accept credit card payments over the phone (most important) and possibly in person as well.  Looking at the free strip reader vs. the chip reader for in person purchases but need to be sure whatever I do, that I can still accept payments from individuals who are not local and can't be here to use the readers.   

I would also like to know if anyone has had any issue with a person (Buyer) making a complaint or being able to get their money back from a purchase they made through Square (without the consent of the Seller). 

I have heard that PayPal protects the Buyer and not the Seller.  Just trying to not get burned by accepting payments certain ways. 

Thank you for any information you could possibly give to me. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Hello there,

I think the chip reader offers more payment options for your customers as it also accepts mobile phone payments. BUT..... if your card doesn't have a chip, you need to swipe anyhow.

I can chime in about the phone payments.

there are really two ways to go about it. One way is to send the customer an invoice and have them pay before you ship or render your service.
Another way is to take the information over the phone, key type it in, and print their name on the signature line and make sure you write "Phone Order" on there too. Ask your customer if they would like to have their credit card on file; Square offers that. DEFINITELY shred the information you've written down. 

As far as fee differences between invoices, keyed in, and on file credit card payments, see this article: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6109

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about disputes. 

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 2