x

Can a customer use Venmo with Square for payment?

Can a customer use Venmo when paying their invoice on Square?

Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @paparazzifever! Welcome to the Community.

Venmo is a money transfer app so there wouldn't be a way to use Square with it. We're not partnered with them in any way. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Best Answer

Hey @paparazzifever! Welcome to the Community.

Venmo is a money transfer app so there wouldn't be a way to use Square with it. We're not partnered with them in any way. 

Ashley C
Message 2 of 39

Thank you!

Message 3 of 39

@

Message 4 of 39

@ashc Could you please verify. I have been receiving notices of wire transfers from my square account via Venmo. I have also been told by some clients that it is an option. Is there any known issues with spam mail or other issues. 

Message 5 of 39
Beta Member

My business accepts venmo. open a venmo business account link to your business banking. when its time to pay cash them under other for the proper amount you can even type venmo in the note to keep track of it. 

JANET NOLAN
Message 6 of 39

Thanks for sharing this workaround @Precisionhair!

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋  

Message 7 of 39
Beta Member

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes that is correct it was my first post. But I have been looking through here on occasion when I have been stumped on some things.   

JANET NOLAN
Message 8 of 39

but then does this show up in your square reports? because I tried doing it and it isn't showing up for me

Message 9 of 39

Hi @meganr17 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

A Venmo transfer would not show up in your Square reports. 

I hope this helps. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 10 of 39

I’m just saying if you marked a Venmo payment down in your square payment options, like a check or other payment option. It’s doesn’t show up in the reports right. Like Venmo for a 50 service with a 20 tip and only the 50 shows up even though you marked it paid for $70. It doesn’t assume the rest leftover is a tip. I own a single chair salon. 

Message 11 of 39

That's correct @meganr17, at this time, there is no way for Venmo to be marked as a payment type because there is no current integration.

A great workaround to record a payment that has been accepted through Venmo would be to record it as "other"

I hope this helps. 

Ria
Message 12 of 39

A Venmo transfer will not show up on square reports but if we are keeping our own records for taxes and sales, will that get in the way of things ? I was thinking about accepting Venmo business payment at point of sales and then when able to cash out ( transfer into ) square business checking to do so .   Venmo option is necessary for my clients. 

Message 13 of 39

You may want to rethink the integration since Shopify just added Venmo as a payment option.  People enjoy the quick transfer option.

Message 14 of 39

Time to start think about adding Venmo, square. Don’t miss the boat.

Message 15 of 39

agree! geez

Message 16 of 39

I have an ice cream bike and sell ice cream.  I accept Venmo payments and record them in the square app as cash payments. 

Message 17 of 39

Why are we not able to have it at least as a tender so we can more accurately have our numbers match. When you choose other it just defaults to the amount. If they add a tip/gratuity, the amounts won’t match. 

Message 18 of 39
Super Seller

You can take payment via Venmo. You just have to choose other. It records just like if you took a cash or check payment. The check out process gives you the option to add a note to the transaction so you can type in Venmo and track it. It does include the tax so the total transaction will be very easy to match up. It’s entered as a transaction but you won’t receive a deposit. You would have to manually move the payment from Venmo into your business account 

Message 19 of 39

If someone adds a tip above the base price on squares it will

Not match up! You you press other. It does not let you add the difference in tip. It just defaults to what the service amount is! So it will never match up unless I’m able to add in what the tip was 

Message 20 of 39
Super Seller

If you turn on the tip function in your square system so that they can add the tip like they normally do in Square before the final checkout then the correct amount including tip is in the transaction report and it will match up with the Venmo payment. You just need to go completely thru the checkout process in your Square POS before they pay with Venmo 

Message 21 of 39