x

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

Selling digital files that are automatically emailed to purchaser.

I would like to see a feature on square.

I would like to sell downloadable digital files, where an automated email goes out with the file link right after check out.  I would be able to have one more way to have sales in my business.  I am a hypnotist and don't have a way to sell digital files through my website.  I don’t know how to sell digital files through square.  

286 Comments

Hey there!

After all these years I am still finding myself frustrated with building a digital product selling platform using Woocommerce.

If Square had (or has?) a subscription based online checkout (similar to stripe) that would be awesome but I don't think we're there yet....

Subscriptions are becoming more and more useful and Woocommerce seems to require a premium extension for everything you do. 

The alternative and preferred option for digital product resellers is EASY DIGITAL DOWNLOADS (EDD). Which works great with Stripe but not Square. There is a third-party extension but word is that it isn't that reliable. 

Does anyone have a resource to use Square with Easy Digital Downloads?

Worst case I just use it with Stripe and then hook it up to Square when/if available. But with over 5 sites and 20+ subscription plans I'd like to hope and can just do all of this upfront (with Square).

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @ikrmedia 👋Thanks for once again reaching out here on the Seller Community.

Good suggestions, here. Hopefully we can generate some good dialogue and tips from your peers on available workarounds to a subscription based Online Checkout.

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding digital downloads. As you may already know, digital download sales are available through Square - but currently, the digital file needs to be sent manually.

Beta Member

Hey @JustinC ,

How i email it if i don't want anybody that buy it, reshare it to there friend via the link i provided them? 

Alumni

The Seller's question that I directly responded to mentioned sending a digital file after the purchase is already made. 

Not completely understanding your question, but I think you're asking how to email a customer if they never bought from your site, yes? If I'm on target, you cannot email them since an email is more than likely not captured without an actual purchase. 

@SamuelDesgagne1

Beta Member

Remaking my question:

Customer buy a digital file on website.

I need to send him the file. The only solution i see in this thread is to send him manually a google drive or dropbox link. So i send him a link.

What's preventing him to reshare that link to anybody (friends) that didn't pay for the file?

Alumni

Ah, I see what you mean now. Thanks for rephrasing. Totally see your concern regarding customers sharing files with others, which then deters those individuals from actually purchasing a link for themselves. 

That's kind of the issue at hand - there is no way to implement these sort of restrictions in place. You will run the risk of your link being shared by multiple people. All in all, we don't have a feature that auto sends exclusive links after a purchase is made. 

@SamuelDesgagne1

Has this been resolved yet? Can we set custom download links for digital products, to be included in the receipt? Thanks!!

Admin

Unfortunately you will still need to send an email to your customers with a link to the file or files they purchased.

I will definitely update this thread once I hear something about the launch of this feature. I know it's long awaited by many of our Square Online sellers @jatpress. We appreciate your patience

Hi MJDPhotograpy, 

I see that I am not the only one wonderng if digital downloads are able to be automated through Squre.  Hopefully this will be added soon for people doing business virtually.

I am an Independent comic book creator, we have our books both physically and digitally, from a previous cart we were able to have our work digitally download in PDF, we switched to square after having to pay too much for support every 6mo, now we can't get that automatic download?!

Even if you created the API to access the existing download area of the website and download file then the rest would be easy

It's hard enough to be an independent publisher, but not even being able to automatically download files, UNLESS you get webly hosting??!! Sounds like a money grab, and how can anyone build a successful business like that? It would be nice.