x

Collecting evidence for future disputes

Hello, community members,

at my first street fair and first use of my square reader I had a customer buying 6pcs of the same item. Now he is disputing the charge. I used a square reader at the fair. The dispute process is asking for evidence of the contact with the buyer, but how to set it up to ask for at least zip code to prevent such "customers"? Also, most other customers demanded that they signed for their transactions, but I did not see a way to set that up either. Please help. Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Invalid chargebacks are unfortunately a fact of life for sellers who accept cards as payment.  Further, it seems that most disputes by customers are decided in their favor and there isn't much that can be done to guard against it.  However, there are a few things that may help in the future:

1. Are you using the Magstripe reader or the chip-card reader?  It is much easier for a customer to dispute a charge if you've swiped their card instead of using the chip reader.  True, the magstripe reader is free (the first one anyway), while the chip reader costs $49, but that cost could be recovered if one chargeback is avoided.
  2. You can set it up so that the customer is required to sign for their purchase, which may work in your favor during a dispute:
    • From your device's Dashboard, tap the three horizontal lines (brings up the menu)
    • Tap on Settings
    • Tap on Signature and Receipt
    • Toggle the Always Collect Signatures switch to on.  From now on, every charged/debited sale that's processed using that device will require a signature.  If you have more than one device that you use to process sales, you'll need to set this up on each of them.
  3. For purchases over some amount you decide on, require a photo ID.  If possible, make a copy or snap a picture with your phone.  Some customers may object to this as being too intrusive, so use it sparingly.

Good luck going forward!

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 5

Thank you for the tip.. 

Message 3 of 5

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has won a dispute that does anything like I do? We build deliver our products personally so we know that our customers get what they've asked for..So the dispute isn't over them not receiving it they're trying to say it wasn't what they asked for.. I'm still learning how to sale online as well as protect myself from things like this. So all I had is the invoice and photo of the delivered product. So I'm worried about losing this dispute especially with the corvid19 thing going on right now. Is there a way to prevent the money coming out all at once?? Anyone have any advice for me?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @mychacha1212,

I moved your post to one of the existing threads where another seller had a similar question.

@GlassJudy gave some good advice above on how to best protect yourself and challenge them.

There's also this article from our Support Center you might find helpful on it too!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5