x

Does Square charge a fee on transactions paid by cash or check?

Can I use Square Invoice and not be charged any fees if my clients pay by cash and check?

I want to use Square Invoice for my business but purely accept cash and check at this time. If I use Square Invoice to create and track my invoices without accepting any card payments, will I be charged?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey there @reneehense

Welcome to the Community! 

Transaction fees aren't charged on cash or check payments because we don't process those payments for you. The money stays in your hands for the transactions. 

Whenever you look at your report - "Total Collected" is going to be all funds including taxes, fees, and sales. It should equal the amount by "Net Sales". Looking at "Net Total", would give you the Sales without the fees included. 

If this still isn't adding up, please let me know!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

Hey there @campfirecakes

You can definitely accept cash or checks when using Square Point of Sale. We only charge processing fees on credit card transactions, so any funds collected through cash or check is all yours. 💰

Message 2 of 12

would that apply to invoices as well?

Message 3 of 12
Admin

@bonjovie8 Yes! If your customer doesn't use a credit/debit card to pay their invoice, you won't be charged any fees when you mark it as paid.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 12

I've sent a number of invoices for $50 to my farmers market vendors - and in the invoice, the Square fee is added for a total invoiced amount of $51.38.  This is confusing my vendors who pay with cash/credit card.  Is there a way for them not to be invoiced the Square fee, but applied only when they pay with card?  This is messing with my vendors' receipts and business accounts.

Message 5 of 12

Hey @wdfmmanager

I'm not sure I'm understanding what your customers are seeing. Did you create a tax for a surcharge that's automatically added to Square payments?

If so, you can disable the tax before you check your customers out if they decide to pay you in person with Cash or Other tender. 

Message 6 of 12

Yes - that helped!  I didn't realize how I had to edit the Square fee/taxes for each item added.  Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 12

So I had 10 cash transactions and they showed me a net sale and and a total collected amount. 

Whats that about? And if it is a mistake on the part of Square how can I contact someone about it!

Message 8 of 12

Best Answer

Hey there @reneehense

Welcome to the Community! 

Transaction fees aren't charged on cash or check payments because we don't process those payments for you. The money stays in your hands for the transactions. 

Whenever you look at your report - "Total Collected" is going to be all funds including taxes, fees, and sales. It should equal the amount by "Net Sales". Looking at "Net Total", would give you the Sales without the fees included. 

If this still isn't adding up, please let me know!

Kassi
Message 9 of 12

Why can't I accept checks for invoice payments, anymore? We use Square for Retail, and our biggest customer usually pays by a check. This has really turned into a hassle.

Message 10 of 12
Super Seller

Have you checked under the payments type tab and ensured that checks are enabled as a payment type? You should also be able to select “ other” when receiving a check as payment. That would show the payment but not the type unless you said check in the payment notes

Message 11 of 12

Hi @gadgetsmanager - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

To echo @homeprogreen's comment, yes - you may need to first edit your accepted payment types before you see checks as an option to make a payment on the invoice. I've added an image below from my demo account so you can see where the check option will be if you close the invoice from your Dashboard. You'll be able to close it from the app as well.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Message 12 of 12