x

Invoice Payment issues

I have a client I sent an invoice to, but had to re-send due to too many errors attempts on their part to pay it with their AMEX card.

Is there something I don't know about holding my transaction up?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Hello @Tavonnamiller, welcome to the Seller Community! 🎉  I would be happy to provide some guidance. 

If your invoice failed we recomend having your customer reach out to their card issuing company. If a card is declined three times the invoice will fail. Square is not given the exact reason a card is declined.  

After your customer has contacted their bank you can re-send the invoice so they can complete the payment. 

If you have any other questions please reply back! 😀

Message 2 of 10

I'm having the same issue. I resent the invoice and she sent me an email that shows a pending transaction on her account and the transaction will post if the merchant completes the transaction. I still show her invoice as unpaid. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Message 3 of 10
Square

Hi @papawithsteph, it sounds like their card is declining for some reason. It's pretty common for declined attempts to show as pending transactions on the customer's statement but they will need to contact their bank to find out why. You'll receive notification, and the invoice will update to "Paid," only when the transaction is successful. 

We're not able to look into account specific info here in the Community, but If you'd like for someone to take a closer look at the payment with you, you can contact our Support team directly. Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 10

Thank you! I have recently run into this issue. Your answer let me know what to tell the customer. 🙂 

Message 5 of 10

This is exactly what is happening with me.  The customer has sent me a Bank of America screenshot showing the amount paid but the Square invoice is still showing as unpaid.  I know this person, so I don't doubt that they have tried to pay.  What do I do now?  Why isn't it registering if she has gone through the steps?

Message 6 of 10
Admin

@DTE It sounds like your customer's bank declined their payment attempt. As Spenser mentioned in this thread, a declined payment can appear on a customer's bank statement as a pending charge. These typically drop off after a few business days. 

Square isn't informed of the reason a card is declined, so your customer should contact Bank of America directly to find out what happened, and to ask when the pending charge will disappear from their statement. After speaking with their bank your customer can try to pay your invoice again with the same card or they could use another card.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 10

Hey, so that’s not a very helpful solution, no offense. Square should release an update that shows why it’s not accepting cards like other services have. 

Message 8 of 10

Hey @Awolmusic, I'd be happy to share this feedback with he Invoices Team. 

Could you provide some examples of how you would like this feature to work? 

Message 9 of 10

A customer tried to pay an invoice, but was unable to complete transactions due to multiple times of keying in credit card wrong. I was sent an notification that the invoice failed. The customer is saying now that the invoice was paid, but it’s not showing paid on my end just failed. Can a failed invoice still get paid?

Message 10 of 10