x

Hello! I am opening a storefront and don’t know if I should get the Stand or the register?

As I have said I am opening a storefront and do not know which product I should get and what there differences are?  Any and all help will be appreciated!

Can I print labels with and of them?

can I setup my website or do my logo thru square?

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@SugarStore ;

I use two Square Stands and I like them.  As with any piece of hardware there will be good and bad.  Problem I have with the Square Stand is they are on Ipads.  Square is an app on the Ipads, so employees could close out the app and open other apps to waste time on them.  Square register is built just for Square and only has the abilities to connect and take credit card payments for Square.  Square Register has a front customer facing display that Square Stand does not. 

As for printing labels right from either of these, I am not sure that is possible.  It could be on the Square Stand if you enter your Square Dashboard through a web browser since that is the way Square has you print labels.  Here is more about that : https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail 

With the Zebra ZSB printers you can print labels right from a Ipad, the catch is that these labels are more expensive than buying rolls of labels.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to704ClBQ3k 

I use a separate computer and custom design my labels outside of Square using the printers software and not Square.  Reason One is I have Custom printed labels that Square does not have as one of the labels they print on.  Number 2 reason is that Square has a limited number of stock types you can print on and I have some sizes that are outside those labels Square is compatible with.  Another problem might be Space, meaning now you need room on your counter or near it for either the Register or the Stand, cash Drawer, receipt printer and now a label printer.  Next problem for a label printer might be the drivers to print to.  Some printers need drivers installed on a Mac, PC, or Linux computer and therefore are not compatible with either of these options.

Check these forums out for complaints and resolutions to problems with both these systems, some might be deal breakers for you for one of the systems but both work great.  As I said I have 2 Square Stands and the business nest to mine uses a Register and she loves it.  This may all come down to $$$ and personal preference.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

@SugarStore ;

I use two Square Stands and I like them.  As with any piece of hardware there will be good and bad.  Problem I have with the Square Stand is they are on Ipads.  Square is an app on the Ipads, so employees could close out the app and open other apps to waste time on them.  Square register is built just for Square and only has the abilities to connect and take credit card payments for Square.  Square Register has a front customer facing display that Square Stand does not. 

As for printing labels right from either of these, I am not sure that is possible.  It could be on the Square Stand if you enter your Square Dashboard through a web browser since that is the way Square has you print labels.  Here is more about that : https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6093-create-and-print-bar-code-labels-with-square-for-retail 

With the Zebra ZSB printers you can print labels right from a Ipad, the catch is that these labels are more expensive than buying rolls of labels.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to704ClBQ3k 

I use a separate computer and custom design my labels outside of Square using the printers software and not Square.  Reason One is I have Custom printed labels that Square does not have as one of the labels they print on.  Number 2 reason is that Square has a limited number of stock types you can print on and I have some sizes that are outside those labels Square is compatible with.  Another problem might be Space, meaning now you need room on your counter or near it for either the Register or the Stand, cash Drawer, receipt printer and now a label printer.  Next problem for a label printer might be the drivers to print to.  Some printers need drivers installed on a Mac, PC, or Linux computer and therefore are not compatible with either of these options.

Check these forums out for complaints and resolutions to problems with both these systems, some might be deal breakers for you for one of the systems but both work great.  As I said I have 2 Square Stands and the business nest to mine uses a Register and she loves it.  This may all come down to $$$ and personal preference.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 5

Thank You so much. This was all super helpful!  But I did think of a few other questions.... I believe I am going to go with the square stand and do the bar codes and such on a separate program for printing.  this leaves me with thinking about a website and online sales. Can I accomplish this all with the square stand and the programing that is included when I purchase it.... or do I need to get or upgrade something? Or do i have to use a website app like wix or go daddy?

once again, thank you so so very much the tech side is not my strong point!!

Linda M

owner of SugarStore & More

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

@SugarStore You can sign up for a Square online store and then your inventory can sync between brick and mortar store and an online store https://squareup.com/us/en/online-store

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

Hi there- we have a shop and we run two square registers. I thought it was very important to have the front facing screen- I didn't want to have to swivel for signing or anything like that. We run the register with the automatic cash  drawer and a barcode reader. While we cannot print barcodes from the register, we do print the barcode from our laptop which is where we enter all our inventory (much easier than doing it on the register).  We do also have an iPad for running square appointment which doesn't interface to the register at this time when running square for retail. 

Our online store is through square as well- we run all our inventory via the laptop as I mentioned above and then we make it look "fancy" for the website.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 5 of 5