x

How do I delete an item?

How do I delete an item? Please don't use the term CSV as I have no idea what that is and can't find it explained anywhere on Square.

Also - I don't have retail 'items' - just 'services'. What's the best way to add services so that, at check-out, we just click on a service?

Also - what's the best way to use a credit card to prevent no-shows?

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @MPJH 

The only reason I'm mentioning a CSV file here is to tell you you don't need to worry about it. 🙂

All item (for the sake of setup, all your services will be called items!) management is done in your web dashboard. Log in and go to the Items section. A list of all your items you have for sale will be listed on this screen.

To Delete an item: Click on the item you want to delete. On the next screen that pops up, look for the red Delete button in the upper right hand corner. All your prior sales reports will still show that item sold so you don't have weird numbers, but you won't be able to use that item again without re-entering it.

To Enter an item: From your main item screen, click on the Add Item button. Follow along all the entry boxes to set your pricing, taxes, modifiers, etc. Save it and it will show up on all your Point of Sale devices pretty much immediately.

You can also create items directly from the Point of Sale app, which may be easier for you. I do recommend using the web dashboard for item management though because it's a little easier for multiple entries. If you are entering a lot of items at once, you can always download your item library to excel, add everything at once, and upload the file. (See, no CSV! 😄 ) Check out this help file for this trick.

To use a credit card to prevent no-shows, I would recommend looking at either Square Appointments (which I don't use so I can't help you here unfortunately) or Invoices where you request a deposit.

Happy selling!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @MPJH 

The only reason I'm mentioning a CSV file here is to tell you you don't need to worry about it. 🙂

All item (for the sake of setup, all your services will be called items!) management is done in your web dashboard. Log in and go to the Items section. A list of all your items you have for sale will be listed on this screen.

To Delete an item: Click on the item you want to delete. On the next screen that pops up, look for the red Delete button in the upper right hand corner. All your prior sales reports will still show that item sold so you don't have weird numbers, but you won't be able to use that item again without re-entering it.

To Enter an item: From your main item screen, click on the Add Item button. Follow along all the entry boxes to set your pricing, taxes, modifiers, etc. Save it and it will show up on all your Point of Sale devices pretty much immediately.

You can also create items directly from the Point of Sale app, which may be easier for you. I do recommend using the web dashboard for item management though because it's a little easier for multiple entries. If you are entering a lot of items at once, you can always download your item library to excel, add everything at once, and upload the file. (See, no CSV! 😄 ) Check out this help file for this trick.

To use a credit card to prevent no-shows, I would recommend looking at either Square Appointments (which I don't use so I can't help you here unfortunately) or Invoices where you request a deposit.

Happy selling!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 13

This reply was created from merging an existing thread.

How do I delete or update an item

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Hey @shawk12557! I'm adding your post here so you can read the steps to delete an item.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 13

how to take items out of your library do you have to delete each one  do not want to see last years items

Message 5 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @8589 - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding deleting items from your Item Library. Take a look at this Best Answer for more info.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 13

In response to this answer: "To Delete an item: Click on the item you want to delete. On the next screen that pops up, look for the red Delete button in the upper right hand corner."

This suggestion only works from the dashboard/item link. Then, when you open the item page, you select the Action pulldown and that is where you find the delete button.

All the other inventory pages don't have this option. Which then begs the question, why are there so many different item pages, each with different options? It's maddening.

Message 7 of 13

When I click on the item, I get no such red delete option on the next screen as you say...hve done this a hundred times...how in hell can I delete an item??

Message 8 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @morway,

Thanks for writing in and sorry to hear about the trouble here! Can you please confirm which steps you're following when attempting to delete an item? It would be great if you could include a screenshot of the page you're looking at, too. Looking forward to hearing back from you!  

Message 9 of 13

There is not a delete button any more.  This thread needs to be updated.

Message 10 of 13

I cannot find a delete button! where is it?

Message 11 of 13
Super Seller

@Brick_Street  Things got moved around a little on the dashboard since my solution to this.

To delete from the dashboard, go to your item library. There are two ways to delete now:

•  Tap the three dots to the far right of the item. Delete will be the last option in the list.
  • Open the item by clicking on it. Then click Actions then Delete

You can delete from the point of sale app as well. To do this, go to More -> Items. Find the item you want to delete, tap it, scroll all the way to the bottom, then hit the delete button.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 12 of 13

Thanks! I found it. The three dots were off screen because of some settings. 

Message 13 of 13