x

Feature Request: Bundle items as a single item, pull from inventory individually - combo/combination

Feature Request: Bundle items as a single item, pull from inventory individually - combo/combination

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Inventory: Can you bundle items together as a single item or special?

We have multiple products for the same price.   We offer a 3 for $20 special, which is a mix & match of any three products.   How do I handle the inventory count?   Do I need to add each item with the discounted amount, so at check out I would have to select three discounted items?   Or do I add each item at the regular amount and apply an overall discount?

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to create a Gift Basket, to be sold as one item, pulling numerous items from s...

Hey @FurnishbyIsa and welcome to the Community!

This isn't something we offer at this time. 

This would be a feature request we can pass up but I haven't seen any other requests for this yet. Hopefully other sellers who are looking for this can add onto the thread!

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can square reduce inventory of two different items sold as one?

Hi there!

Unfortunately for bundle created items that combine two separate items together will not reduce your inventory for each. 

What you can do is create a discount and apply it to the sale when both items are purchased together.

This will reduce your inventory and also reduce the price to the amount that you like. 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: How to track inventory with a mix & match 3 for $20 special?

Hey @Baconation, thanks for surfacing!

I can see how this would be a bit tricky for your 3-for-$20 special, especially since inventory is a high priority.

Depending on how you need to track your items, I have three suggestions:

1. Add each item individually to the sale, then apply an overall discount.
    Pro: Allows you to track the inventory for each item regardless of being part of the special.
    Con: You would have to ring up the 3-for-$20 special as a separate transaction. Otherwise, the discount will apply to the entire sale.

2. Add each item individually to the sale, then apply the discount to each of the three items.
    Pro: Allows you to track inventory for each item regardless of being part of the special and ring up additional items in a single transaction.
    Con: More of a manual process that may increase the length of time to complete a sale.

3. Create a "3-for-$20 Special" item.
    Pro: It's fast and since the price would be locked, you can add it to a sale with other items.
    Con: You wouldn't be able to track each individual item within included with the "3-for-$20 Special" item.

I understand how automating this would be super helpful for your business and I'll be sure to share your experience with our product liaison team. 

Find step-by-steps on applying discounts in our Support Center.

Hope this helps clear things up for now. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

291 Comments

Any update on if there are any plans to expand inventory management features to include matrix items or (more critically) item assemblies? These features would go a LOOOONG way toward solving a multitude of issues we are facing.

Further, it would be AMAZING to be able to tie modifiers (including thier visibility/availability) to inventory of other items within the system.

Thanks!

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @ceclix22 - thanks for taking the time to check in on this thread! We appreciate you adding your voice here.

We can definitely see how item assemblies, and more distinct organizational features for inventory would be helpful for Retail businesses. We are actively working towards improving every aspect of the service, including inventory management. 

While I don't have a specific timeline or update to share just yet, this thread will be tagged to be the first to know should an update come down the pipeline. Hopefully we will have some news for you soon. Thanks, again!

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Please add Discount on CATEGORY combo option (i.e. Entree + Appetizer + Beverage = $ or % off)

We are looking into other online POS systems because there's no way to limit the quantity of something one customer can buy, and no way to do combos. If someone buys all our take and bake Entrees of the day and no appetizers or cocktails/mocktails, we lose money. Like many restaurants we depend on people buying drinks with their orders when they dine in and don't make enough money on entrees without them. So a way to limit the quantity of one item someone can buy, plus a way to do Combo meals (i.e. Choose 1 item from each "CATEGORY" - Entree, Appetizer, Beverage) as either a forced option or a discount, we wouldn't have to go through the trouble of switching to a competitor for online orders. If we add items as "Add-Ons" there's no way to track the inventory, and we run into the problem of selling more than we have available for the day. So, a way to make an "ADD-ON" link to an actual "ITEM" would be appreciated.

We need to be able to do "Combo Meals" to-go that customers can order online. The only way I can see to do this is by putting "Add-Ons" on an item, but there's no way to track the inventory of those Add-Ons, which brings up the problem of selling more than we have available for the day. Is there a way to link an "Add-On" to an existing "Item" so that the inventory can be tracked? It would also be nice for the image of the item, plus the description, to show when people are choosing Add-ons of Beverages and Appetizers. I see that there are other online POS systems that seem to have this capability so it doesn't seem impossible for a company as large as Square. I think this would be helpful for other industries as well.

Admin

Hi @richardsgoat- I'm really sorry that our platform isn't able to give you the tools you need at this time. I really appreciate you sharing your personal struggle with these limitations. Although this thread mostly touches on having this function within the POS app, it's also true for sellers wanting to have this feature within the Online Store.

We'll keep passing this feedback up the line and share updates as we receive them. Thanks again for sharing.

Beta Member

I am using Square for Retail and want to sell prepackaged bundles of items while keeping track of inventory correctly. We purchase inventory in bulk and leave most of the items in the original container. We take some of the items and prepackage them into little baggies for sale. How do I keep track of inventory correctly?

Example:

• Received a shipment of 500 screws (item #S200)

• Make 10 baggies containing 20 screws each (item #S200-20)

• 300 screws (item #S200) remain in shipment box

Currently, I am using inventory recount to remove 200 screws (#S200) by putting qty. 300 (#S200). Then I use inventory recount to "add" quantity 10 of item #S200-20 (baggies of 20 screws). It works, but then discrepancies will look really high/frequent.

What is the proper way to reduce/increase inventory?

Admin

Hey there @pristineblinds- I merged your question to this relevant thread that has some suggestions and workarounds that talk about you how you can accomplish bundle selling. Hope it helps!

1. BUNDLES: We need a way to create bundles of individual items so that when a pack of items is sold each unit can be tracked.

2. COMBOS: We need the ability to automatically apply discounts or deals when a set combination of items is added to a cart. 

I have been with Square for over 5 years, and these features were promised in 2016. They are much more useful than the transfer inventory feature. Stop trying to become a bank and support your customer's actual needs. 

Alumni

Hi @lbduxbury,

We definitely see how this feature could benefit your business model. Our teams are constantly looking through our seller's feedback to make necessary improvements, and we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions by replying to this thread. 

2.5 years later and still no update to this? Are we really trying to add this feature or just stringing us along at this point? Self driving car updates don't take this long guys.. haha