x

How long is transaction history retained in Square?

Hi There,

We're currently evaluating Square for use at several F&B locations in our organization. One question from our accounting department is how long the detailed transaction history is available in Square. Is it there a point after a certain number of years where it's removed? If so when? Otherwise is the history retained in perpetuity?

We want to know whether we'd need to print and archive reports to meet our historical transaction retention requirements or if we can rely on that history to be available online in Square for at least 4 years.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your interest in Square @shussein

If you use Square, your transaction history will be available to you for as long as you need it! We don't have any plans to remove or restrict transaction history or reports. 

So, no need to print anything! This should save your accounting department time and paper. 🙌 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your interest in Square @shussein

If you use Square, your transaction history will be available to you for as long as you need it! We don't have any plans to remove or restrict transaction history or reports. 

So, no need to print anything! This should save your accounting department time and paper. 🙌 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 11

Thanks Helen, great to hear!

Message 3 of 11
Admin

You're welcome!

Feel free to post more questions if they come up! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 11
Beta Member

so, as long as i am a user, i can acess the reports as well? not just the transcation. but ALL the different types of reports. 

Message 5 of 11
Admin

That's correct @Anah! With an active account, your transaction history and reports will be available to you whenever you need them! 🙌

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 11

We use to be able to look at custom transaction reports that could show when we started with square completley to the current time. Now we can only see a report for a one year durration max. Why was the viewing durration changed?

Thanks, GB

Message 7 of 11

I am testing out Square. Could someone please confirm for me whether it is possible to retrieve transaction history older than 1 year ago?

Whilst I know that this once possible with Square, I am not sure that it still is...

As a test, when I put in 2018 as a start date range, Square doesn't properly accept it, and sometimes I get a message stating that I can only use a date range of a year, therefore, I don't believe that it is possible to go back beyond a years history anymore.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 11

Having spoken to Square support; I have an answer to this now. Transaction history is kept indefinitely and is available from the inception of the account. However, you can only view 1 years worth at a time - ie. 1st January 2018 to 31st December 2018. You cannot view 1st January 2018 to 2nd February 2019.

From a practical point of view, this works fine for accounting, as you don't view more than 1 years worth at a time anyway and importantly Square keeps the older transactions - so it's all great. 👍

Message 9 of 11

Actually, I have been asking square to tell me where / provide me with a year of missing transactions and records on my Buisness account. No help whatsoever. I have all of my store items still, all of the different options for them still in tact. All of my customers and their information in my customers section from the invoices sent and paid. But strangely, when I go to pull reports they pull back with no sales records. 

I have emails, customers, a square debit card, even receipts from square invoices all that tell me what I already know.. this is a gd lie. BUT Square hasn’t done anything to fix it, at all. I have reached out multiple times.

I have a customer who has had a question for two months that THAT I CANT ANSWER. This is absolutely ridiculous for a “Buisness Payment Solutions Provider”. 

I needed to pull the reports to give the SBA, my deadline is in a week and they have no wiggle room because it’s been two months. And I have been asking, for freaking months for Square to fix it. I am going to lose my targeted advance. Yeah, that targeted advance only for people that the SBA figured out that they wrongfully denied, the actual businesses, when all of the jerks got SBA grants. Do not rely Square for anything, I relied on them and I really regret it. 

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @WCLSLLC,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about the frustrating experience. Transaction history is kept on your profile, and is not deleted by us. If you're missing transactions, it's possible that these sales were taken on a Square location that you might have deactivated. These transactions would come back up in your Dashboard when reactivating the location. To check, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your Dashboard

2. Head to Account & Settings > Business > Locations.

3. From the Status tab on top of the page, select "Inactive". 

4. if you do have an inactive location, reactivate it by clicking on it and selecting > reactivate. 

Please let us know how you go with these steps, and if you have an inactive location. 

Message 11 of 11