x

I have Square set up for online payments on my wix website. How do I include Processing fees?

I have Square set up for online payments on my Wix Website and set up payments as a purchase item on my online store.  I added taxes thinking it would cover the processing fee that Square takes, but I may be reading it incorrectly or not understanding what the taxes relate to and purpose.  And I don't see those who have paid online being charged for those fees. Example: My week program is $445, that's what I have priced on the online store. When I get the confirmation of payment, I still see that they were still only charged $445. What is the most reasonable solution.  Do I add the costs onto the Program Fee and then state Fees and processing included for credit cards 

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

The processing fees include the taxes, so I can see why adding tax did nothing but increase your fee.

Definitely talk to an accountant before making the customer pay the processing fees. Many times that’s illegal, and you don’t want to go down that road.

Like it or not, in today’s age of credit card transactions, fees are part of the cost of doing business. If you feel strongly about not paying the fees, you may be able to adjust your item pricing to compensate for the fees to a point, but again, when you add anything to the ticket, your fees go up. It’s a vicious circle you can get trapped in. 

My whole rationalization with the fees is to treat it like any other outside service for your business: you don’t expect an accountant to work for free; why would your card processor be expected to do so?

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Best Answer

The processing fees include the taxes, so I can see why adding tax did nothing but increase your fee.

Definitely talk to an accountant before making the customer pay the processing fees. Many times that’s illegal, and you don’t want to go down that road.

Like it or not, in today’s age of credit card transactions, fees are part of the cost of doing business. If you feel strongly about not paying the fees, you may be able to adjust your item pricing to compensate for the fees to a point, but again, when you add anything to the ticket, your fees go up. It’s a vicious circle you can get trapped in. 

My whole rationalization with the fees is to treat it like any other outside service for your business: you don’t expect an accountant to work for free; why would your card processor be expected to do so?

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2