x

Will Square ever make itself available to the Windows Surface and Phone Platforms?

Will Square ever make itself available to the Windows Surface and Phone Platforms?

I have windows phones, mostly due to functional necessities. However, I do need to use a swip card for upcoming conventions.  Will Square ever work with Windows Phone?  Or should I look into another service?

Also, being forced to "ask the community" instead of an actual square representative is more than a little disconcerting regarding how Square operates.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Will Square ever make itself available to the Windows Surface and Phone Platforms?

I’m confused. Why are you not using Square Appointments? It’s free for individuals. I apologize in advance as I’m not great at going back and reading every reply in the thread.

44 Comments
Super Seller Alumni

Square only work on iPhone and Android.  

There are an estimated 1.5 billion people using Windows OS every single day. This is an enormous market of people that are casually being ignored. My business has an ATM right next door, so for convenience reasons, I was considering taking electronic transactions. I own a Galaxy phone, a Surfacebook that doubles as a tablet, a Dell laptop, and a Gateway desktop. I will surely not use my personal phone for taking payments. Until there is support for my Dell or my Surfacebook, both running Windows 10, I'll remain cash only. I hope to see support soon.

While the virtual terminal is neat in theory, the one that has been implimented is significantly more expensive than swiping cards through an app. The Windows 10 OS is not going anywhere anytime soon. It will slowly be adopted by the masses as most businesses around the world slowly transition to touchscreens. This would be an intelligent way to aquire a consistently growing market of new users.

Cheers!

Beta Member

It's been two years since you discussed ETA regarding Square. Square is the most popular integration across the board. My online scheduling uses Square. Why is this still an issue? I am glad I have not purchased further Microsoft products. You really need to get up to speed.

Admin

Thanks for your post @MBSHC, I'm sorry that I don't better news - Windows devices are currently not supported with Square.

I'll share your interest in using Square on a Windows device with the Compatibility team. If we have any updates to share you can be sure we'll announce them.

How do I use Square with Windows 10?

Super Seller Alumni

The only thing you can do on Windows is access Square via the online Dashboard.  You can take credit cards via virtual terminal or invoices through the Dashboard.  There is no point of sale app for Window that will allow you to ring and swipe a card.  These are only available on Android and iOS devices.

You know what would be really nice? instead of giving the canned idiotic answer that you dont support windows, and that you dont have an ETA when you will, is to tell us WHY. Stop treating your customers as if they are idiots.  

Square Community Moderator

@amercaneatsgy Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and it's great to hear you're eager to use Square on an additional operating system. 

As with all other road map and product decisions, we can't dive into the details publicly. 

Your feedback is read by our product team regularly, and that is used to consider tough decisions around our road map. 

Can you provide more details around your business and how Windows support would help? This isn't supported at the moment, but additional business use cases are greatly appreciated by our product team. 

If anything changes around this, we'll let you know!

I will be using my laptop at our theater. Will I be able to use my reader on my Dell Inspiron?

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Magick! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread here about using our readers with your device.

The Dell Inspiron is not compatible but check the link VanKalker posted above to see all compatible devices.