x

My reader is new and not working properly.

My square reader is new and I had plugged it in to charge and did a test run and it worked, then it wouldnt accept 2 types of cards which were commonwealth and westpac, both new cards. Now the device is still on charge and there are no lights at all. When I press the button, 4 green lights come on for about 5 seconds and then go away and then there is nothing. The device is on charge and there are no lights shining and when I disconnect and reconnect, there is nothing. I have changed charging port an that hasn't helped either. Also did the reset test that was recommended on here and the lights went yellow and then red and then off. Please help, my business opens tomorrow! Thanks - Rachel 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @rehughes12,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your reader.

At the moment Square will work with any Visa, MasterCard or American Express branded credit or debit card. This includes Visa/MasterCard debit cards, however standard EFTPOS account selection (savings/cheque) is not yet available. It sounds like the two cards you've referred to are old-school EFTPOS cards without a Visa/MasterCard debit linked?

We're working on a solution to support these payments types and will have more to announce in the coming months.

In terms of connecting the reader, can you try connecting it (via the Square POS app and NOT your device Bluetooth settings) then running a $1 test transaction on your own card as per the instructions here. Let me know at which point you're getting stuck and we'll see if we can get things going! You'll know the reader is properly connected because there will be a black bar at the top of the screen when using our app that says "Reader Ready".

If you'd like to go through this process with a support agent, please feel free to give us a call on 1800 760 137!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Iโ€™m constant having the same problem! Press the button, the four green light come on then nothing. This has happened a few times and nothing short of embarrassing when trying to take clients payments. Then I have to do a manual transaction where I get charged more! This has happened a few times now and Iโ€™ve tried all the troubleshooting... hold for 20sec wait 10... delete and re-install POS app... turned off my iPad and on. Turned off Bluetooth and on, tried running the iPad on WiFi then using the Bluetooth, turned hotspot on and off...Iโ€™m getting very frustrated as itโ€™s happened a few times and Iโ€™ve only had it about 3 months! Hope we get an answer that helps...

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @TK2,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you've not already, please check out this step by step guide to connect your reader and let me know what point you're getting stuck at and we'll see if we can solve this one for you!

Before trying to pair it again, it's a good idea to perform a hard reset on the reader by holding down the button for 20-30 seconds until the lights go through a cycle of flashing red and then stop.

Note that pressing the button on the reader doesn't actually do anything other than give you a battery reading - 4 green lights means it's fully charged. If you'd like one of our support agents to try guiding you over the phone you can also give us a call on 1800 760 137 ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 6

My Reader will not connect ๐Ÿ˜ž  I have:

1. Rebooted my iphone6
  2. Rebooted the wireless reader
  3. Rebooted the wireless reader when connected to power
  4. Connected the wireless reader to my laptop
  5. reset my iphones Network Settings
  6. Deleted the Square App and reinstalled

I am holding the button down for 3 seconds until the orange lights flash

What else can I try?

The wireless device doesnt even show up as an available device on my phone or my wifes phone or my ipad

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hey @HarbordScouts,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your reader. Can you try:

1) Reset the reader by holding down the button for 20-30 seconds. You should let go once the lights lights STOP flashing RED.

2) Try connecting the reader (via the Square POS app and NOT your device Bluetooth settings) then running a $1 test transaction on your own card as per the instructions here.

Let me know at which point you're getting stuck and we'll see if we can get things going! Alternatively, you might get a quicker solution by calling our team on 1800 760 137 to troubleshoot. They'll be able to take a better look into your specific operating environment! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 6