x

No Apple Pay on checkout links?

I just signed up to square after seeing the checkout links allowing customers to pay by Apple Pay. I was planning to only use this as a payment method to suit my business. 

I tested the the checkout link yesterday and there is no Apple Pay when you click and open the checkout links, 4 friends didn’t get it either so no auto populate either. Support said customers have to open the links in safari which isn’t obvious how to do pls tell me this is frustrating for others and is there another way? 

Message 1 of 17
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: No Apple Pay on checkout links?

@Danielleaubrey it seems that facebooks browser doesn’t follow the protocol for ApplePay. 

This unfortunately isn’t something Square can do anything about as it’s the way FB handles the webpage. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Danielleaubrey - if you go to your online dash & double check that you've got the option selected under checkout. 

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 00.07.38.png

Pizza Is Chill

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Danielleaubrey - if you go to your online dash & double check that you've got the option selected under checkout. 

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 00.07.38.png

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 17

Yeah I have got it but square support said when someone opens your checkout link on an iPhone they won’t get the Apple option unless they click ‘open with’ and then click ‘safari’ which isn’t obvious to do see screenshots surely I’m not the only one saying this isn’t right? I’ve added screenshots 

4C0C09C9-19B7-45FB-8B3F-66ABEAB996B2.jpeg

584CCF15-C425-4367-A336-10007DEABFF2.jpeg

1587A67C-F111-4D34-986E-0DED6901E4A5.png

Message 3 of 17
Super Seller

@Danielleaubrey how are you sharing the links? 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 17

I’ve copied the link and pasted it into Facebook messenger chats 

Message 5 of 17
Super Seller

@Danielleaubrey it seems that facebooks browser doesn’t follow the protocol for ApplePay. 

This unfortunately isn’t something Square can do anything about as it’s the way FB handles the webpage. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 17

Oh right ok I don’t know why square support didn’t tell me this. I just tried using Wats app and Apple Pay showed up. I don’t want to use Wats app or text as it gives customers my mobile number. If Facebook doesn’t work then what are the other ways to send a checkout link that will show Apple Pay? Is it on the roadmap to fix the Facebook issue? Thanks 

Message 7 of 17
Super Seller

@Danielleaubrey this is about the way the messenger app interacts with an iPhone - nothing to do with Square & nothing that they can change, so no road map for it to be on. 

When there is a checkout page with Apple Pay enabled it 'asks' the phone/device if Apple Pay is an option. It does this via the browser it's show in, & it looks like FB use their own browser within the app rather than the Safari engine, blocking this communication. (If you're a cynic you could think this is deliberate as FB also offer their things in messenger, or you could think it's just another way for them to control what you see & how (they were prosecuted recently for injecting ads via their browser into sites that were free of all ads - like injecting ads into the Dutch version of BBC news!)) 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 8 of 17

Apple Pay isn’t showing when clicked on google chrome (pasted the link into my website) or when clicked in an Instagram chat 

Message 9 of 17
Super Seller

@Danielleaubrey unfortunately the situation is just the same as before. This is the way the browser interacts with the Apple Pay system, not how it's implemented at the Square end. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 10 of 17

Hi thanks for the reply even when clicked from safari? 

Message 11 of 17
Super Seller

In safari this should always work! 

Have you got a screenshot, & does it work on other links with AP? It's tricky as there are 3 different bits involved (while I know the bits that are going on I won't pretend to actually understand any of them!) 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 12 of 17
Admin

Hi @Danielleaubrey, thanks for reaching out! @Sam_400º is right - Apple Pay should always appear when you access the website through Safari. If you are not seeing Apple Pay even when using Safari browser, it's potentially an issue with the domain being recognise and our engineering team would need to correct it on our end. 

If you can let me know the link for the website, I can pass it over to our team so they can double-check this. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 13 of 17

Thanks they’re on the homepage of aubreyshealthybites.com

Message 14 of 17
Admin

Thanks for sending that on @Danielleaubrey! I was able to see the option for Apple Pay when viewing the checkout link. Was there a different link that you are having trouble with, if so, do let me know and I can have a further look.

Image from iOS (49).jpg

Image from iOS (48).jpg

Tra
Message 15 of 17

[Redacted personal information]

That’s odd when I click them using safari I get the below screen shot when I click using chrome I only get google pay?

Message 16 of 17
Admin

Would you mind sending the exact link where you are getting this @Danielleaubrey? It's expected the only Google Pay will show up when using Google Chrome. You'd need to use Safari to see the option for Apple Pay. 

Tra
Message 17 of 17