x
Alumni

Pass the Mic: Meet Nikila โ€Œ๐ŸŽค

Pass the mic (1).png

Hey fam!! Itโ€™s time for the second edition of Pass the Mic, an interview series spotlighting black entrepreneurs using Square. Next, we shine a light on @Nikila, owner of Lave Wash, a hypoallergenic laundry pick up and delivery service.

lavewash.jpegHow did you come up with your business idea?

I became an entrepreneur during the 2008 economic crash while being a single mother of two. My two current businesses, Autumn Teaco and Lave Wash, came as a progression from other business ventures I was trying out. I did jewelry wholesale to other vendors for a few years and finally decided to begin my own brand. My laundry pick up and delivery service started out as a staffing agency and turned into a logistics business. with our main product being laundry.

How do you market to your customers?

Lave Wash is mainly marketed through word of mouth and people searching on google and Yelp. This summer we are giving it a small push with flyers, blogs, regular social media posting and utilizing the posting feature on google. Autumn Teaco is marketed with social media, affiliate marketing, influencer marketing and showcases.

Tell us a pivotal moment in your career when you realized 

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 4.20.41 PM.png

being black would present a disadvantage?

I'm a third generation Entrepreneur. That's really rare in my lineage. I've always known and was raised knowing about the disadvantages of being black in business. I've also always been taught to move around that and to not let it stop you. The most difficulty we've had was with getting funding. I use one business to funnel the next and my past businesses have made it possible to start the latest ones.

How would you like your legacy remembered?

I want to be remembered as the #1 leader in word of mouth marketing. I'm preparing to write about my techniques and experiences so that I cashare them with other business owners. I want everything I touch to bring value to those that use or purchase it for many years to come. I want my legacy to also include that we always were able to be fluid with the community and meet people's needs.

Nikila is now a mother of four and attributes her success to her supportive husband. Thanks for sharing your incredible journey!! 

Enjoy the read? Check out Arickโ€™s interview piece here and join Uplifted Voices for more stories like these. 

We want to hear from you! Comment below with who helped you achieve success.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

@Nikila I love how you transformed your starter business ventures into the successful business brands you have today.  I wish you continued success Queen.....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 2 of 6

Thank you very much for your comment. You should always be fluid in business. You have to evolve with time. Just like myself, my businesses are always evolving and growing. Sometimes they grow in the direction I planned and sometimes they don't. Either way the goal is to always go up and increase and not just lateral.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Totally agree....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 4 of 6

Love this! 

B. Matthews
Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

Loved reading this! Excited to hear all the fun things you have happening! 

Message 6 of 6