x

Questions about selling eGift Cards on Square

I have a service business and want to offer eGift Cards on a co-branded Square Page. Here are my questions:

1) When an eGift Card is purchased, do I (Company Owner) receive that email with code as well as the Buyer and Recipient?

2) What is on that email (i.e., code, instructions how to use that code, the amount of the eGift Card) and can I customize the email template to include instructions on how to schedule service from my company?

3) Is there a way I can see a sample email? 

4) If an eGift Card is purchased at $100 for example, and each service is $22. Who deducts from that $100 each time service is used. IS that me the owner or recipient?

5) It looks like Square will charge 2.9% and .30 for each online eGift Card transaction. Is that correct?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @sdconcierge

To answer your questions: 

1. You don't receive an email with the information for the eGift Card, but you can see all of the information on the Gift Cards tab on your Dashboard. 

2. They will receive a 16 digit code to enter for the Gift Card and the amount will be on there too. You can have preset amounts or allow the customers to enter a custom amount. You can customize the graphic on the eGift card and even add your company logo as an option. That would be the only customizing you can 

3. You can send yourself a test gift card and then cancel it, so you can see what it looks like. 

4. The system would deduct the amount on the eGift Card once the number is entered. You will be able to see the balance on your Gift Card tab in your Dashboard. 

5. You would only be charged the 2.9% +$0.30 when the gift card is loaded with a credit card. Once it's loaded you would not be charged the processing fee when the customer redeems it. 

Here is our Support Center article for more information on eGift Cards too. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Best Answer

Hi @sdconcierge

To answer your questions: 

1. You don't receive an email with the information for the eGift Card, but you can see all of the information on the Gift Cards tab on your Dashboard. 

2. They will receive a 16 digit code to enter for the Gift Card and the amount will be on there too. You can have preset amounts or allow the customers to enter a custom amount. You can customize the graphic on the eGift card and even add your company logo as an option. That would be the only customizing you can 

3. You can send yourself a test gift card and then cancel it, so you can see what it looks like. 

4. The system would deduct the amount on the eGift Card once the number is entered. You will be able to see the balance on your Gift Card tab in your Dashboard. 

5. You would only be charged the 2.9% +$0.30 when the gift card is loaded with a credit card. Once it's loaded you would not be charged the processing fee when the customer redeems it. 

Here is our Support Center article for more information on eGift Cards too. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kassi
Message 2 of 10

Thank you Kassi. I guess my concern is if I can't add my website, disclaimer about what town we provide service to, and how to schedule service, the recipient of the gift card will not know how to take advantage of our service and use the gift card. Any solution to this?

Message 3 of 10

@sdconcierge

The gift card would come with information on how to redeem them through your store. You can add more information under "Additional Policy" under Gift Card Settings, some sellers have added the information you mentioned in that section. 

You will want to go to your Dashboard --> Gift Cards --> Settings, then scroll to the bottom under "Redemption Policy" and you will see a section to type whatever you need in there. 

Kassi
Message 4 of 10

Thank you very much

Message 5 of 10

You're welcome! Happy to help!

Kassi
Message 6 of 10

Hi Kassi,

How do we send a test e gift card and then cancel it?

Message 7 of 10

Hey there, @MeganW

There isn't an option to run a test eGift Card, right now. 

You would have to create an eGift card like normal, then cancel it. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

how do you void an egift card the customer never received.   I have issued them a physical card and now I need to delete the ecard balance.

Best,

David

Message 9 of 10

Hello @dwagaman 👋

To void an eGift Card you would need to look up the transaction where it was purchased and next to the eGift Card line item, you will see 4 digits. Clicking on those numbers will show the Gift Card details and actions. From there you will be able to clear the balance of the gift card and it will render it unusable. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 10 of 10