x

Add item using barcode?

Hi, All. 

I'm new to Square and trying to figure out how I'll use the inventory tools. I have a few questions about adding items using a barcode scanner. 

Can I add an item to Square using a barcode scanner? In other words, can I add to my inventory by scanning the barcode on a product (ISBN, for example) or do I have to manually type the SKU into a new item?

Also, let's say that I already have the item in stock and am adding to my stock with new inventory. Can I simply scan the barcode to change the number in stock? 

Lastly, can I look up whether I have an item in stock by scanning a barcode? 

Thanks much!

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @konabaybooks! You can use a bar code scanner with an iPad or Android device to add an SKU when creating an item:

1. Open the app > tap Items > tap All Items to see your item library.
  2. Tap Create Item.
  3. Scan the bar code and the scanned SKU or UPC code will appear in the SKU field. 

Note: The steps above will populate the SKU in the SKU field but you'll need to enter the other details like the item name and price manually. Take a look at this Support Center article for a quick way to import items online using a CSV file. (You could add the SKU using that file, or set up your items with the file and then go back and scan the SKU to add it from the app.)

I'm afraid there isn't a way to add or check inventory with a bar code scanner (yet). This is a feature request we're tracking in this thread

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @konabaybooks! You can use a bar code scanner with an iPad or Android device to add an SKU when creating an item:

1. Open the app > tap Items > tap All Items to see your item library.
  2. Tap Create Item.
  3. Scan the bar code and the scanned SKU or UPC code will appear in the SKU field. 

Note: The steps above will populate the SKU in the SKU field but you'll need to enter the other details like the item name and price manually. Take a look at this Support Center article for a quick way to import items online using a CSV file. (You could add the SKU using that file, or set up your items with the file and then go back and scan the SKU to add it from the app.)

I'm afraid there isn't a way to add or check inventory with a bar code scanner (yet). This is a feature request we're tracking in this thread

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 26
Beta Member

Can I use the Bluetooth barcode scanner to do this?  I want to add inventory on my iPad thru dashboard - I have square register with a usb scanner but I would like to use the app on IPad with a Bluetooth scanner to enter inventory

Message 3 of 26
Super Seller

@Dmkaura 

As long as the Bluetooth Scanner is compatible with Square you should be able to do this.  I never got a Bluetooth scanner since I use a Square Stand and use a USB barcode reader like you do with your Register.  

This is the only one that Square has as officially working with Square as a Bluetooth Scanner.

socket-mobile-barcode-scanner-bluetooth 

This does not mean that another Bluetooth Scanner MIGHT work, but your own your own if it does not work with Square.  Just because a Scanner can connect via Bluetooth to an Ipad does not mean it will work with Square.  So ask if it works with Square and if it does not if you can return it.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 26

The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.

Hi, I have recently set up inventory management with Square. Is there a way that I can use barcode scanner to scan new inventory in rather than manually entering each time? Thanks

Message 5 of 26
Admin

@marielane Yes you can! I moved your question here so you can see Helen's instructions on how to add inventory with your bar code scanner. 🎉

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 26

Hello, I am looking for any advice at all.  I have recently purchased an ipad and a square stand.  I am adding tobacco products to my vape store, and I am looking for a Scan Data Program that is like Skupos, that works with the Square POS that I have already.  Any information is greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Pitvaperz - thanks for reaching out here again on the Seller Community 👋 Good to hear from you again! 

While I'm not familiar with the Skupos software and can't speak to it directly, the Square POS application does have the ability to actively scan items and add them to inventory! I merged this post with another thread from Helen with some helpful steps to achieve inventory scanning. 

Depending on the size of your inventory, you may be interested in Square for Retail. This is an amplified version of our software that exceeds in inventory management and gives you the ability to print your own barcodes. 

If this doesn't seem to resolve your inquiry, feel free to hit me back with more details on what exactly you are looking for and I will do my best to offer some helpful solutions! Look forward to hearing from you soon. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 26

Hello and thanks for the reply.  It is not inventory scanning that I need. Skupos is a program that runs in the background and keeps track of the tobacco products that you scan.  Then sends a detailed list to the manufacturers to save the retail store money.

Message 9 of 26

Hi 

I am actually in the same boat looking for solution for scan data program. Any luck or solution you have ?

Message 10 of 26

hello everybody!

Pure Lifestyle is an Apple Store and interior store in Belgium.

At this moment we are using LightSpeed but they stop giving support next year. So we are looking for a new POS.

One very important tool is scanning serial numbers.

When we create a product we add stock by serial number.

When we sell a product (related with a serial number) we scan first the UPC and after that the serial number (both are linked).

So here's the question. Is this possible in this POS?

Message 11 of 26

I am very new to this.

I have an online square store only that I manage from my desktop pc.   

Is it possible to use a scanner for inventory instead of manually entering every item? If so, which scanner is best compatible with square, and where may I find more detailed info on how it works?

I have looked for recent threads, but most I have found have been from 2017.

Thank you!

Message 12 of 26
Admin

Welcome @SassySister! Happy to have you on board with us!

Currently there's not a way to be able to scan a barcode and add inventory through the Dashboard (using your PC.) You would need to manually enter your inventory through your online Dashboard.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 13 of 26

Can bar code scanner be used with Square Dashboard?  I would like to create a new item when I receive it and scan the bar code while using Square Dashboard, is this possible?

Message 14 of 26
Alumni

Not doable I'm afraid. You're not able to scan in items into Dashboard with a barcode scanner. @candynkites

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 26
Beta Member

Can we scan in the inventory with a barcode scanner if its a variable weight or variable price product? The Checkout feature works for this, but will it update inventory? So far, I have not had luck. We tried just making a sale with 100% discount but it messes up our reporting. 

Message 16 of 26
Beta Member

Hi, 

Is the barcode feature still available in the Android app? 

Other than adding a photo of the product, there are no options to scan a barcode.

Thanks!

Kelly

Message 17 of 26

Hey @petshop,

Welcome to the Community.

Check out the Best Answer for what you're experiencing. 

Please let me know if that didn't work or if you're seeing something else.

Message 18 of 26
Beta Member

Hi Robyn,

and thank you.

Yes, I posted because that doesn't seem to apply in this case - when I get to the item creation following the described path, there is no option to scan anything, the only bit that uses the camera is the product photo, which does not contain anything barcode related.

BR

Kelly

Message 19 of 26

@petshop Sorry, I missed the mark.  

You can use the following barcode scanners with the Square app on your Android device:

Your device must be running Android 7.0 software and support USB OTG (On-The-Go) or host mode. You’ll need a micro USB to USB adaptor to connect the scanner to your device.

Zebra (Symbol) DS6707

Honeywell Hyperion 1300G

Honeywell Xenon 1900

Honeywell Voyager 1200G

Honeywell Voyager 1250G

Socket Mobile SocketScan S700 (Bluetooth)

Socket Mobile 7Ci (Bluetooth)

Note: The Socket Mobile 7Ci is no longer being manufactured but is still compatible with Square Point of Sale.

Note: Bluetooth scanners are not currently supported on Android devices.

I hope this helps!

Message 20 of 26
Beta Member

Thanks Robyn!

I was under the impression that the device camera can be used as a scanner, but from your post I gather that's not the case, right?

We'll need to have one of the dedicated scanners attached?

Message 21 of 26