x

Shipping Weight

I am wanting to distinguish between products for shipping. As some of my products are cards they don't weigh much at all. If I were to use the weight as a "rank system" (made up weights depending on what I would have to post them as). For example - large letters 0.1kg and small parcels 0.2kg, so that they would fit into weight categories, would the customer be able to see I have done this?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @kt10, thanks for raising this! From testing on my end, the shipping weight will not be visible to customers. Only you can see this when editing your items. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @kt10, thanks for raising this! From testing on my end, the shipping weight will not be visible to customers. Only you can see this when editing your items. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

@kt10 The Shipping by weight is based purely on the weight and doesnโ€™t allow for different parcel types ( large letter, small parcel etc. ). If it did, the customer would need to decide on which type it was and this could be abused - saying it was a large letter to get the lower postage when it was actually a small parcel. If most of the parcels you send are up to 750g you could use the Large Letter rates and have an additional rate for over 750g which uses Small Parcel rates. It would mean you could take a hit on parcels under 750g that didnโ€™t come into the large letter criteria.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site
Message 3 of 4

@tonydow What I did worked for what I wanted but thank you for your response. By designating weights to items it meant that square automatically chose the correct shipping rate. I had no issues with the system or customers as a result. The updated system to allow for different items to be categorised has made this a lot easier though.

Message 4 of 4