x

Shipping costs - a question

I have small cloth badges which I want to ship out at a standard price. I also have clothing, for which I have added a weight.

I have set up my shipping with a flat rate and one based on weights.

Is there any way for this software to understand that if an item in my basket has a weight, then we use the rate based on weights? And if none of them have weights, then the shipping is based on the flat rate?

If not, can I suggest it for a future enhancement?

At the moment, the customer has to choose which rate to use -and I don't want them to use the wrong one (either accidentally or deliberately).

Cheers

Alan

thanks

Alan

Message 1 of 11
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

@alansh Following on from Tra’s suggestion, could you have your first weight range set to 0 - just below your current minimum and have that set to what you currently have as Flat Rate.

https://the-ungrateful-wench.square.site

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Hi @alansh, thanks for sharing this! That's definitely a great feedback and I will be sure to pass it to the appropriate team for review.

To avoid confusion in the meantime, a suggested workaround would be to set up all shipping rates by weight instead of using a combination of a flat rate & weights. This will be a bit tedious as it does require you to set weight to all the small cloth badges and you'd need to account for situation where customer order more than one badge (the fallback rate might come in handy here). 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 11

Thanks Tra, but that isn't going to happen. I have around 330 items to update and I'm not going to attempt to edit them all.

And the logic still wouldn't work. The customer may order one badge or he may order 100. All badges are shipped at a standard rate, no matter how many they buy. Clothing and other stuff is shipped at a different rate.

I'll wait for the suggestion to pass through to product development.

cheers

Alan

Message 3 of 11
Beta Member

Best Answer

@alansh Following on from Tra’s suggestion, could you have your first weight range set to 0 - just below your current minimum and have that set to what you currently have as Flat Rate.

Message 4 of 11

Tony,

Good idea - as long as I could upload the weights in a bulk upload. I'm not going to go through 330 badges individually.

Alan

Message 5 of 11

Tony - you're a genius.

The default if you don't set a weight is 0. So as long as my non badge items have a weight, it is great.

Message 6 of 11
Beta Member

@alansh    I hope it works for you. I wasn’t sure if a blank weight equated to zero - perhaps @tranguyen could confirm that this is the case. I had to go through 300 items adding weights so understand your reluctance. Stay safe, Tony 

Message 7 of 11

I checked it - it works.

Message 8 of 11
Admin

That's amazing, thanks so much @tonydow for helping with this! I'll definitely make a note of this for myself as well. 

Tra
Message 9 of 11

Hello, 

Is there anyway of increasing the total shipping costs by weight? I have set different price points by weight, but when a customer checks out with several items, the shipping costs always default to the pricing for one item?

Hoping theres an answer to this!!

Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
Admin

Hey @ahirani, thanks for your post! If you have set shipping cost by weights, when you go to check out, it should apply the rates based on the combined weights of all the items in the basket. It might be worth checking that all items and their variations have a weight set in your Items Library!

And would you mind sending me a link to your website? I can test out the shipping rates on my end here as well. 

Tra
Message 11 of 11