x

Square Terminal to control mPOP Cash Drawer???

Will Square Terminal ever be upgraded to support a mPOP Star Microtronics cash drawer?

I'm looking for a solution for a pop-up store that will frequently relocate... so the less amount of setup and cable plugging in, the better... so the mPOP cash drawer with its' integrated printer is our best option.

We'll have staff have rove around to take orders... they won't be stuck behind a counter or desk... and as most customers pay by physical Tap n Go card and lots use ApplePay, so the Terminal is ideal for this...

But we still have a few customers who want to pay with good old fashion cash...

Would love the Terminal to be able to handle a Cash Drawer but a far smaller percentage of our customers will still use cash... so the option to control a Cash Drawer from Terminal would be great.

In fact I'd love a couple of Terminals to be able to utilise the same Cash Drawer... so we don't need dedicated cash drawers... just one between a group would be enough

Is this something Square will consider... first just controlling a Cash Drawer.. and then later multiple terminals accessing one drawer?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @NicholasP,

Thanks for providing us with such detailed feedback of your use case!

I can see how this functionality would be very useful in your situation - unfortunately at the moment the mPop is only compatible with Apple devices, where Terminal runs Square for Android.

Terminal also does not feature Bluetooth functionality, which would be needed to connect to a bluetooth-based cash drawer if you wanted to take payments with Terminal without being tied own by cables.

There's not a straightforward solution to doing what you're trying to achieve here at the moment, but I can suggest checking out the Open Tickets function of POS, currently the best workaround. It would allow you to:

1) Open a ticket at a table on Terminal

2) Take orders at the table and on Terminal add them to the ticket as required (you'd still need to hand any physical printed order tickets from Terminal to the kitchen).

3) When it came time to pay you could bring up the ticket at a main register (eg an iPad attached to a printer/cash drawer) accept a cash payment and resolve the open ticket there.

Alternatively you could go the old fashioned method of using the Terminal to record a cash payment and have your staff manually take cash/deliver change from table to table if the customer chooses to pay via cash.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2