x

Trying to order hardware

Hey everyone,

Brand new here, and I can't make the support bot work.

I'm trying to order hardware, and the only option is free shipping. I want expedited to get a card reader to our store for an event on Friday.

Anyone know how to select faster shipping for a hardware order?

I realize the magstripe reader is a slow shipping thing, but we're also getting the dip and contactless reader as well. I'm sure there's a way to manage shipping -- I don't see it and there's no good support contact.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

If you have a Best buy near you you can pick up a reader there

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Beta Member

Best Answer

If you have a Best buy near you you can pick up a reader there

Message 2 of 14

Phyllynna -- awesome -- thanks!

Message 3 of 14
Alumni

Hi @ChopShopLamar! Welcome to the Seller Community 🎉 

After you purchase your Square Reader (find a location using this tool) you can use the redemption code inside to be reimbursed for the cost of your first Square Reader for magstripe. If you need the Square Reader for magstripe with headphone jack connecter, one will be included as a freebie in the Square Reader for contactless and chip box! 

Let me know if questions come up 😊

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 14

Thanks Valentina -- we purchased hardware and no magstripe was included. I was in touch with a sales rep who has delayed our process  by weeks. I had to figure out what to do on my own, which has turned out all right. I appreciate the link to the reimbursement page -- thank you for that. We're purchasing a reader at Best Buy today when our store manager goes out.

Message 5 of 14

We tried to order a Square Reader.  It kept trying to force us to become a Pro member.  We have no use for the Pro services since we are a very small store.  So we went to Best Buy and bought a Square Reader.  I entered in the redemption code...and once again it tried to force us to become a Pro member.  Was our redemption code even accepted?  It doesn't look like it!

It's not free if we're forced to sign up for a $60 per month service we don't need or want!!

Message 6 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @RainforestPet

We see its your first post in the seller community, congrats! Just to get some clarity where specifically do you see offers to become a Pro member? Is it when logging into your dashboard? Or when trying to redeem?

Is this link you are using for redemption?  

Look forward to reading your response 😊

Frida
Message 7 of 14

According to everything on your website, the magstrip reader is supposed to be free.  But the "free magstrip reader" url (https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/free-credit-card-reader) tries to charge us $10; there is no free option.  So we went to Best Buy and bought a reader with the understanding that we could get refunded for it.

https://squareup.com/redeem was the url I tried using to redeem the $10 Back coupon we got with the Square we were forced to purchase outright.  Instead of acknowledging that I had entered a valid coupon code, it flashed up yet another ad trying to pressure us into upgrading to the Pro version.

This also happened at nearly every step when we were trying to set up our credit card processing; I clicked the bell at the top right of the dashboard (https://squareup.com/signup?v=verify-your-identity&confirm=false) but it automatically brought us to https://squareup.com/dashboard/retail/onboarding/subscribe instead.  Closing that popup just brought us back to the main dashboard instead of allowing up to finish the process that your system insists we still haven't completed...even though we did process a test receipt of $1 yesterday and a whopping 87 cents was deposited to our checking account this morning.

Do you offer a free magstrip reader or not?  If not, don't lie about it.  Did my redemption code go through?  I have no way of knowing.  Are we really set up for business?  I don't know that, either...because every single thing I do circles back around to a popup screen trying to pressure us into signing up for your Pro service!

Message 8 of 14

Thank you for providing that information. If you are new to Square (meaning you have never opened any prior accounts with us in the past or have open accounts currently) then you are eligible for a free reader.

However, if you currently have accounts open, and created another, you will not be eligible for another free reader but may purchase additional ones on our shop site or any retail location. 

Hope this clears that up! 

Frida
Message 9 of 14

Only gives me free shipping not free reader

Message 10 of 14

what happened to free?

Message 11 of 14
Alumni

Your first Square Reader for magstripe should absolutely be free, @paintresse 🎨 

If you're running into trouble ordering your first Square Reader for magstripe online, you'll first want to make sure that you are logged into your Square account. Then, head to this page > Send me a reader > select connectivity > complete checkout process.

You always have the option to purchase a magstripe reader in-store if you do not want to wait for one to ship to you - shipping takes 1-2 weeks for the free readers. In that case, we will reimburse you for the cost of the magstripe reader if you use the code included in the packaging on this page.

If that doesn't work, our Support team would be able to give you a hand!
When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here,

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 12 of 14

Unfortunately the FREE Square reader with Magstripe did not fit my Android. I tried the Lightening Connector and the HeadPhone Kack. Is there a third option? Seems odd I cannot use one on a Android.

Message 13 of 14

Headset and Lightning are the only connection types available for the Square Reader for magstripe at this time.

If your device does not have a built-in port, some devices include an adapter that enables you to connect 3.5mm audio accessories, like your favorite headphones or the Square Reader, to the device’s main port (like a USB-C port).

We also recommend using the Square Reader for contactless and chip with your new device, as it connects wirelessly with Bluetooth LE. You can also accept contactless card payments, chip card payments, and mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Android Pay.

AshleyK
Message 14 of 14