x

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ What are Square's fees?

Can anyone confirm what the actual fees for card payments is?

Some pages say 1.9% https://squareup.com/au/get-a-reader?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJ_l3LC72QIVCZe9Ch10aw2BEAAYASAAEgIaIvD_BwE&p...

I signed up after seeing the cheaper rate. I guess i'll find out soon enough, but just wondering why the misleading info.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @WezAust1234

As an Aussie merchant these are the only fees you need worry about https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5068-what-are-square-s-fees ๐Ÿ‘

In short:

1.9% for transactions made on a card reader.

2.2% for transactions made by manually keying in the card info (eg a payment made over the phone).

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @WezAust1234

As an Aussie merchant these are the only fees you need worry about https://squareup.com/help/au/en/article/5068-what-are-square-s-fees ๐Ÿ‘

In short:

1.9% for transactions made on a card reader.

2.2% for transactions made by manually keying in the card info (eg a payment made over the phone).

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 10

Thank you so much Sheamus.

That clear things up. The confusion started when the welcome email I received contained a link to the wrong/US version of a page.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!!

Message 3 of 10

Hi Sheamus. I have a further related question. What is the ongoing fee for recurring payments? I have a club that will deduct fees from members' cards. If the initial sign up is through a swipe does that mean all future deductions will be the 1.9%? And if the initial join up was through keying in the card details, does that mean all future recurring fees will be the higher 2.2% fee?

Cheers

C

Message 4 of 10
Admin

Hey @CameronQ,

Recurring payments made automatically with a saved card on file are "card not present" transactions so are charged at 2.2%.

If you happen to see someone in person and can read their card directly though, you can turn the automatic payment off before the invoice is due and process the invoice using a card reader at 1.9% ๐Ÿ‘

So it's not impacted by how you processed the first transaction, but rather based on how the payment is made each time.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 10

Ok, cool. Thanks S. Clarifies it perfecetly.

Cheers

Cameron

Message 6 of 10

I'm being chargd ~9% for credit card tap transactions. How does this happen?

Message 7 of 10
Admin

Hey @sjrumney,

Thanks for getting in touch.

To clarify, the Tax amount shown in your daily sales summary is not a deduction. It is simply showing the proportion of your sale(s) that you have designated as tax, for record keeping purposes. By default, all Square accounts have GST enabled. Check here for instructions to disable it.

To view your total deposit amounts, and confirm that Square has not deducted this tax, you can correlate your bank deposits from Square with your deposit reports.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 10

Hi mate do you on charge this back to your customers? if so does square have the capability to automatically do it?

Message 9 of 10
Admin

Hey @Grounded1,

Square doesn't currently feature an automated surcharging system - though this is a popular feature request, especially in Australia where it's more commonly done.

We're tracking this request and will provide any updates via this thread.  You can also find some workaround there in how to manually calculate a surcharge. Hope this helps!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 10