x

What to do with checks and cash?

I got a Square to use at my first booth sale, but I couldn't figure out how to use it.  I had it figured out by the second sale, but everyone paid with cash.  How do I deal with that?  If I add it to Square, it doesn't go into my bank account and my bank is a long distance away.  What do others do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Beta Member

Square can record cash and check payments for your records. The only money Square can transfer to your bank is money they process from a card transaction. Square doesn't receive the cash or check to deposit in your bank, you have it, so they can't deposit what they weren't given.

Cash is already money in your hands. How you choose to handle that depends on your preferences. If you want cash in your bank, then you have to take it to the bank.

For checks, if your bank has the option, you can use the bank's mobile app to snap a photo of the check and it will deposit to your account. It sometimes takes a few days, and if it's your first time depositing a check with the mobile app, most banks have a long delay on the first mobile deposit.

Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

I would say you continue doing what you were doing before you got Square for Credit card payments.  Cash either gets put in a safe or is brought to the bank, and checks go to the bank.  nothing else can be done with that.

Now the second question is are you using Square just to take credit card payments or are you trying to use it to run all your sales thru so you can keep track of sales for end-of-year tax reporting.  If you are trying to use it to keep track of everything then enter the sales and select the correct form of payment in square.  If all you are using it for at this time is for Credit card payments then just keep track of your cash sales as you would have before square in a journal or spreadsheet.

Message 3 of 4

Thank you for reminding me that Square can help me with tax reporting if I run all sales through it!  That was very helpful!

Message 4 of 4