x

When you first sign up will Square automatically send you the small reader? How do I get it?

Does Square automatically send you the small card reader that goes into your headphone port? I read in the tutorial that the first one was free after that it’s $10. How do I get it? 

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello and welcome to Square @SouthernSavvy! 😃🎉

Yep your first magstripe reader is free, and you do have to request a reader — it won't automatically be sent when you sign up.

You can order a reader from your online Square Dashboard. From a browser sign in at squareup.com/dashboard > click Account & Settings > Square Accessories > Card Reader

Or you can order a reader from the Point of Sale app:

1. Sign in to the app and navigate to the Settings section.
  2. Scroll down and then tap Card Readers > tap Magstripe > Order a Reader.

The readers take about a week to arrive. When you've placed your order you'll receive a confirmation email. You'll receive another email with tracking information when the reader has shipped! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Admin

Best Answer

Hello and welcome to Square @SouthernSavvy! 😃🎉

Yep your first magstripe reader is free, and you do have to request a reader — it won't automatically be sent when you sign up.

You can order a reader from your online Square Dashboard. From a browser sign in at squareup.com/dashboard > click Account & Settings > Square Accessories > Card Reader

Or you can order a reader from the Point of Sale app:

1. Sign in to the app and navigate to the Settings section.
  2. Scroll down and then tap Card Readers > tap Magstripe > Order a Reader.

The readers take about a week to arrive. When you've placed your order you'll receive a confirmation email. You'll receive another email with tracking information when the reader has shipped! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 26

Why the the $10 credit not being applied to my account? It says in the "help" section to add the reader to your cart, log in, and the credit will be applied to your account. This isn't working for me 

Message 3 of 26
Alumni

Hey @sizemore139 - That's strange. You should receive the $10 credit if this is the first order you're receiving. I recommend talking to our CS team and they can check on your account to resolve.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 26

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Free Square

Hello, I was enticed to get a free square reader for my business I signed up, but never received anything.  How do I get my free square reader? 

Message 5 of 26
Admin

Hello @AmandaMcLane!

It sounds like you might not have ordered your free reader. Your first magstripe reader is free but you do need to request it from the app or from your online Square Dashboard. Take a look at the steps to order your reader today in this thread.

Thanks for signing up!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 26

How and where do I go to redeem my free mag stripe reader? I got a flier in the mail for one.

Message 7 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hey @sstockton! Welcome to Square and the Community!

I moved your post to a thread that exists in the Community already around how to order your free reader. Check out the best answer for step-by-step instructions on how to place your order. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 26

I created a new account with Square for my Paparazzi business in May but never received a magstrip. I was under the impression I got the first one free. How do I go about getting this as it’s an important tool for my business and a necessity. 

Message 9 of 26

It is not allowing me to order one unless I pay. I have not received the first one if they sent it out. I never received anything in my email stating they shipped one. 

Did you get your magstrip? It seems impossible to get anyone to speak with. 

Thank you

Message 10 of 26
Admin

Sorry for the trouble @ajandcompany. Go ahead and reach out to our CS team as Joe suggests above. They can get you taken care of.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 26

Thank you so much! It is taken care of. I appreciate it. 

Message 12 of 26

I did that but was charged. Can I get a refund?

Message 13 of 26
Alumni

Reach out to our CS Team to discuss refund options. @redmanfarms

Justin
Message 14 of 26

I got a card in the mail but not the reader.

Message 15 of 26

hello

Message 16 of 26

Hey @ken1973

When you started your account, did you place an order for a reader? The readers aren't sent automatically. After signing up, your first reader is free. Try this link below to get your free reader. 

1. Click http://squ.re/readerrequest

2. Select "Send me a reader"

3. Select Connectivity. 

4.Complete checkout process!

If that doesn't work, please let me know.

Kassi
Message 17 of 26

I follow these steps and it’s still trying to charge me $10.70. I have never received a reader from you all before. Very confusing. 

Message 18 of 26

Hey @Cloud9Art,

Welcome to the Community. 

Are you logged into your account when placing your order?

I look forward to your reply.

Message 19 of 26

Hi. I was charged for my reader. I received it with no code for reimbursement. How do I get back my $10 plus tax?

Message 20 of 26

Hi there, @Silinsspoons  thank you for reaching out. Happy to provide you with some more information on our free reader promotion.

If you are prompted to be charged $10.00 for your first reader, this can happen when someone has multiple Square accounts linked by the same SSN or you may have not been logged into your Square account, which causes our system to not recognize you as a "new" Seller. 

In order to assist you further, we'll need you to connect with our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 21 of 26