x

Why won't my magstripe reader work with my device?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: LG tribute headphone jack won't let square use card reader]

I can't get the square reader to properly read cards hooked up on my phone. It does work on other phones.

I have the simple magstrip reader that plugs into the audio jack.

My sister has a galaxy s10 and it works.

My phone is an LG tribute empire and it doesn't work. If I enter in an amount then swipe it does not work. Even though I gave square the permission to use the jack my phone still thinks I plugged in real headphones and is listening to music. I think my phone is overtaking the permission and thinks I'm listening to music.

Any Ideas on how to fix it?

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @macbrienjr-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! Sorry to hear about your Magstripe Reader. 

Firstly, can you verify that the reader and your device are compatible?

Secondly, please take a look at these troubleshooting tips.

If you try all the troubleshooting steps listed, and those still don't work, please reply back in this thread so I can provide next steps/suggestions 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MY MAGSTRIPE READER DOESN,T SEEM TO WORK AND is snapped in.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 23
Alumni

Hi @Dusty, we have a number of troubleshooting tips to get you back on track.

Try some of these, and if they don't work, write back and we'll try to help you out.

• Make sure you’re using a supported device.
  • Check that the Square app has access to your device’s microphone. This access allows your device to detect the reader.
  • Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way.
  • With the Square app open, unplug the reader and firmly plug it back in.
  • Update the Square app.

The full list is here, with some tips for taking practice swipes: http://squ.re/1S2asVb.

Message 3 of 23

Hi

I have the same issue 

Suddenly the swipe doesn't work 

I have to enter by hand

Message 4 of 23
Square Community Moderator

@Gallery218 that sounds super frustrating! Does it work on other devices, or do other readers work on your current phone? How long have you had the magstripe reader and are all of your devices and apps up to date?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 23

My mag strip won't read my card. I can use the chip or add my card manually. Please help!

Message 6 of 23
Square

@Suzgoss2014 - Please check out George's answer for more details on how to get back up and running. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 23

Why my reader does not get connected?

Message 8 of 23
Admin

@Zarka Sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your magstripe reader with your device! I merged your post in to this thread, please go through George's troubleshooting steps when you get a chance.

These troubleshooting steps typically resolve most issues but if you're still seeing a connection error reply here to let me know what device you're using. We'll go from there! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 23

This reply was created from merging an existing thread

Unfortunately for me as a street vendor I cannot swipe any credit cards through the reader and therefore I forced to input all info manually. I've sent several inquiries to Square support but they anly suggest to update the software or to send me a new reader. 

I did everything : updated softaware and received new reader, but the story is the same. 

What's wrong with my phone or reader or software and who from Square  can narrate me by phone  step-by-step what should I do ? 

Message 10 of 23
Admin

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to swipe cards! The troubleshooting steps in this thread should help but if you'd like to speak to someone you can certainly call our CS team if you prefer!

The steps to call are in our Support Center and the team is available 6am to 6pm PT, Monday through Friday. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 23

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I broke my swipe however I have another but it’s not working. Why? And what to do?

I broke my swipe however I have another but it’s not working. Why? And what to do?

Message 12 of 23
Admin

I'm sorry to hear both of your readers aren't working @1RO. These troubleshooting steps typically resolve most issues with the magstriper reader — but if your readers are very old it might be time to get a new one.

A new magstripe reader costs $10. You can order a reader from the app: tap Settings > Card Readers.

Or if you need one ASAP you can buy a magstripe reader in retail locations. To find a retail store near you visit https://squareup.com/us/en/where-to-buy. I recommend calling ahead to make sure they're in stock if you're making a long journey!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 23

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Nothing happened when I plug Square into my I phone

Help! Nothing happened when I plugged Square into my I phone 

Message 14 of 23
Admin

Oh no @Cecile! The troubleshooting steps here usually help but if nothing happens at all please call our CS team so we can help you to get back up and running! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 15 of 23
Beta Member

i had this problem with credit cards with the chip. i had both types of readers so i could take all credit cards financial services. when i had both connected my slide reader wouldn’t work because card had chip. so disconnected the other and connected slide reader by itself. worked great. 

bj

Message 16 of 23
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @macbrienjr-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! Sorry to hear about your Magstripe Reader. 

Firstly, can you verify that the reader and your device are compatible?

Secondly, please take a look at these troubleshooting tips.

If you try all the troubleshooting steps listed, and those still don't work, please reply back in this thread so I can provide next steps/suggestions 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 23

I am unable to swipe in the card reader or use the chip reader.  I have to put everything in manually.  

Message 18 of 23
Square Community Moderator

Hi @lorihj - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! So sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with your readers.

Would you mind providing some more context as to the specific problem you are encountering with each reader? Are you receiving any kind of error message on your device? What specifically isn't working?

We would love to assist as soon as we get a bit more detail. I will keep an eye out for your response!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 23

I am having the same problem after not using the app for three months. HELP!

Message 20 of 23

same problem here... and the big problem is that it has been working for over a year on my phone and was just working a few days ago on this same phone... now it doesn't work on my phone... I have another magstripe reader that will not work on this phone either.... both readers connect... I get indication in the app that the reader is connected... but will not read a card when swiped... and forget the troubleshooting tips... I ALREADY TRIED THEM AND THEY ARE NOT WORKING... 

Message 21 of 23