x

Why won't my magstripe reader work with my device?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: LG tribute headphone jack won't let square use card reader]

I can't get the square reader to properly read cards hooked up on my phone. It does work on other phones.

I have the simple magstrip reader that plugs into the audio jack.

My sister has a galaxy s10 and it works.

My phone is an LG tribute empire and it doesn't work. If I enter in an amount then swipe it does not work. Even though I gave square the permission to use the jack my phone still thinks I plugged in real headphones and is listening to music. I think my phone is overtaking the permission and thinks I'm listening to music.

Any Ideas on how to fix it?

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @macbrienjr-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! Sorry to hear about your Magstripe Reader. 

Firstly, can you verify that the reader and your device are compatible?

Secondly, please take a look at these troubleshooting tips.

If you try all the troubleshooting steps listed, and those still don't work, please reply back in this thread so I can provide next steps/suggestions 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

My card would not let me swipe the cards at my last sakes event do I was entering everything manually, then I got hit with higher fees for doing that!  What’s up with that?

Message 22 of 23
Alumni

Sounds like your device and reader can use some troubleshooting. Check out the troubleshooting link Isabelle posted in her best answer. 

@Sundaydraw

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 23