x

How to collect cash/pay in-store for Square Online site orders?

How to collect cash/pay in-store for Square Online site orders?

Good afternoon Seller Community ! 

Today I want to discuss a new feature that should be talked about that will be a great tool for businesses all over. I have written down many ideas based on obstacles my restaurant @CooksKitchn have faced during this journey using square as our number one POS system. I want to discuss a feature allowing customers to select a " pay with cash" option making purchases online. All business owners know that cash is king, and there are a lot of people out there that prefer to use cash rather than charge, not to mention with the increase of cash transactions we limit the amount of fraud purchases and bank disputes that have to be performed on a regular basis if you have a busy online store. I believe that customers should be able to select pay with cash when either choosing to pick up or placing an order for delivery. With an option for no show protection to the business, customers will be required to leave a card on file incase their product or service was never fulfilled we will be able to charge the customer either a full or percentage of the product. Yes we will take the risk of customers not having funds on that card and the transactions potentially being declined but its another huge step towards success for as Square users. Please consider this as an option during online checkout to maximize sales for businesses all over.

Ceo 

Dashawn Cook

[The title of this thread has been edited by moderator from its original: Collecting Cash for Online Store Purchases]

4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Paying cash at time of order pick up

Hey @rae16,

I moved your post and this entire thread to an existing feature request thread for this.

It's not something you can do at this time. I don't have a timeline on when it would become a thing but you should join our Beta Community where you can potentially test out new features first when they're released!

Verified Answer

Re: cash at checkout

Hi @deltaelevator,

We really appreciate your feedback on this feature request. While we cannot provide a public timeline on the status of this request, please know that we will be sure to let you know if anything ever changes or if new updates are released. 

Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to manually add orders under Online > Orders?

Hi! Great question. There isn't a way to manually add orders to that page specifically, but you have a couple options to accept payment over the phone depending on how you want to run your system. 

1: You can manually accept the card over the phone through either Virtual Terminal or the Point of Sale app. This is the easiest way and will allow you to track inventory. If you need an order ticket to print, you will need to use the Point of Sale app and make an open ticket for the order. 

2: You can create an invoice for them on the dashboard or app and email it to them right after the call is over. Again, this will track inventory, but will not print an order ticket or appear on your Orders Dashboard. 

Verified Answer

Re: cash at checkout

Hi there, @exotictouch!

At this time, orders placed through your Square Online website must be paid for online. I've moved your post to an existing thread where this discussion is taking place, and where we're tracking requests for the ability to pay in person for online orders. 

The most common way that I've historically encountered businesses accepting cash payments for online orders are via invoices and/or phone orders. Have you considered offering a "phone-in" option through your Square Online website? This is likely the most tried and true method by which to accept cash payment for an order. I saw @BBTH's post here, and I thought up another workaround that would enable you to accept cash for pickup and delivery orders.

Workaround: You can add a banner to your main page letting your customers know that you are accepting cash payments:

I'd recommend adding a button to your banner here, as shown above "Call now to order".

This could take your customer to a couple of places:

• I recommend having this button link to your Contact page, as shown above. 
  • You can alternatively opt to include a Phone link in your button. Keep in mind, this link will direct your customer to the actual phone portion of their phone and automatically dial your phone number, so this will not work on a laptop or desktop computer.

Here's an example of how you could clarify how your customer are able to pay using cash:

Once you get a call - or email - placing an order, you can put the order into the Square Point of Sale app using the open tickets feature. You can accept the order as if it was in-person, and print or close the ticket at the time of delivery/pickup.

We hope that this workaround helps a few businesses in this thread! 😊

185 Comments

I would like to add my vote to please add the COD/check options for payment!

We are developing an online store - we need an option so our customers who prefer the ability to pay with cash upon pick up or delivery (COD) will utilize online ordering. 

Where is TEAM Square with this needed option? 

Square Community Moderator

Hello 👋@paula155

Welcome to the seller community! Allowing customers to pay with cash for online orders has been a popular request. I would like to invite you to take a look at this thread where other sellers discuss this feature. 

We continues to take feedback around this and will make sure to provide you with any update should this change in the near future.

We appreciate your patience!

Putting my vote in for this as well. It's nice to have the order/inventory tracking all in one place, and I have ~5% of my customers who would prefer to pay with cash/check at the time of pick-up/delivery.

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for the feedback @kalenthyme. We will make sure to add it to the list. Have a great day!

Beta Member

I posted in this thread about 6 months ago. Has their been any progress in making this feature available. South Dakota State Laws state that we cannot accept payments for alcohol online so my customers have to pay at pick up. I was told when we switched to square that ordering online and paying in store would not be an issue.  
It seems like it might be easier to get my state laws changed then it would be to get this feature added. 
A time line would be great. 

I also want to add another vote for having cash-option for online ordering.  I have been waiting for this feature since March. 

HOWEVER, there is a primitive way to work around this limitation if your business really needs it AND having the pros outweigh the cons. The solution is to use COUPON!

1. Create coupon code with 100% OFF and name it "CASH-PAY" or something like that.

2. Create a post, banner, or pop-up on your ordering website with instructions to use CASH-PAY coupon code if they need to pay with cash.

3.  Check every order that comes through your screen to see if the total is "$0.00" so you can mark the receipt paper (I'd recommend getting a red-inked stamper that says "CASH" on it). 

4.  When the customer arrives, you punch the order back into your point-of-sale system and take cash from them. 

5. (Cancel/Refund the online transaction if you need to keep track of inventory and for other book-keeping purposes.)

This method is only a theory that I have not yet implemented for my business due to the risk of forgetting to take payments and the possible hassle of book-keeping. Hopefully, it will work for some of yours.

i am trying to figure out how to add cash as a form of payment when customers are doing pick up and delivery is that possible 

Alumni

Hi there, @exotictouch!

At this time, orders placed through your Square Online website must be paid for online. I've moved your post to an existing thread where this discussion is taking place, and where we're tracking requests for the ability to pay in person for online orders. 

The most common way that I've historically encountered businesses accepting cash payments for online orders are via invoices and/or phone orders. Have you considered offering a "phone-in" option through your Square Online website? This is likely the most tried and true method by which to accept cash payment for an order. I saw @BBTH's post here, and I thought up another workaround that would enable you to accept cash for pickup and delivery orders.

Workaround: You can add a banner to your main page letting your customers know that you are accepting cash payments:

I'd recommend adding a button to your banner here, as shown above "Call now to order".

This could take your customer to a couple of places:

• I recommend having this button link to your Contact page, as shown above. 
  • You can alternatively opt to include a Phone link in your button. Keep in mind, this link will direct your customer to the actual phone portion of their phone and automatically dial your phone number, so this will not work on a laptop or desktop computer.

Here's an example of how you could clarify how your customer are able to pay using cash:

Once you get a call - or email - placing an order, you can put the order into the Square Point of Sale app using the open tickets feature. You can accept the order as if it was in-person, and print or close the ticket at the time of delivery/pickup.

We hope that this workaround helps a few businesses in this thread! 😊

Beta Member

Not sure if you ever found a fix for this, but we are an official Square Partner that creates affordable, white-label mobile apps and we can do this pretty easily. 

We're literally about to start a Delivery Only project that's super similar where the Client wants the payment to be cash and in-person.