x

new to square have questions

Before i set-up and use Square payment systems i want to know 

1. I use XERO for my invoices - can a client pay directly from XERO invoice i email them using square ? I do i have to send invoice via Square to then be added to XERO ?

2. Can i set-up re-ocurring payments each month - can Square auto charge client each month 

3. Can i have it so any merchant fees are paid by the client 

thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @UNW,

Thanks for getting in touch!

1. At the moment Square isn't available as a payment processor from within Xero. Though we'd love to be available on as many platforms as possible, it would be up to Xero to build that functionality into their product.

2. Yes you can! Check here for more: https://squareup.com/au/townsquare/how-to-recurring-payments

3. Square's POS does not presently have a surcharge option available, however if you want to pass on card processing fees to your customers you can manually calculate these into the price of yours goods/services.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

so just to re-iterate - if i want to charge someone i have to create invoice in Square - add in the surcharge amounts to the final figure and then as they pay it will then just get feed through to XERO. 

Does XERO get copy of the Invoice - detailing what it was for etc ?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @UNW,

When you process an invoice via Square, my understanding is that it will feed through the sales data to Xero as a generic Square transaction.

I don't believe Xero will receive the actual invoice from Square, however if you have a Xero account you can test how it appears by sending through a demo $1 invoice to one of your own email addresses.

If you would like to pass on credit card processing charges to your customers, you can use the following to calculate what you would charge.

For transactions put through a Square Reader at 1.9%:
Transaction amount divided by 0.981
e.g. $100 / 0.981 = $101.94 - you'd add $1.94 as a 1.9% surcharge.

For “Card not Present” transactions at 2.2%:
Transaction amount divided by 0.978
e.g. $100 / 0.978 = $102.25 - you'd add $2.25 as a 2.2% surcharge.

Why Wouldn’t I Just Add 1.9% or 2.2%?
Square’s card processing fees are based on the overall transaction amount, so if you’re adding $1.90 to a $100 transaction, the cost of the transaction is now $101.90, not $100. Using the above formulas accounts for this small change to the overall fee on transactions if you’re adding a surcharge

Should you decide to apply a surcharge, it is your responsibility adhere to Australian regulations as set out by the ACCC.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4