x

API with card reader

If I integrate the POS API into a Windows-based application, can I use a standard mag-strip-reader to read credit-cards and feed it into the POS API? 

If so, is there one that Square recommends as it looks like that, going through the forums, that there is currently not a Square-offered solution for a PC-based app to directly process credit-card info.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @sarseneau, thanks for bringing this up! A few options come to mind.

• At this time, we aren't able to support Windows-based applications, but we do have in-person payment solutions for Android and iOS. For more details, have a look at this resource: Your app, powered by Square hardware.

• We do offer the ability to process payments on a PC with Square Virtual Terminal. For more information on how it works, have a look at this article: Get Started with Virtual Terminal

Hope this helps get you in the right direction! Please don't hesitate to let us know if any questions remain. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 4

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How we can integrate swipe card payments to my own POS app

Hello, we got a question regarding the square card swipe hardware we gonna use, does this device (https://squareup.com/us/en/hardware/reader) has an API to integrate with our software (cloud)?. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Check out @Tom's post on this thread. He provides some helpful resources that points you in the right direction for what you're looking to accomplish. 

I hope this helps @veteranfnb

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4