x

Building POS Integration with Mobile Web ERP Help

We have used Square POS hardware for years and have an in-house ERP web app that we'd like to integrate with.

We're a computer repair shop.  We want to create tickets in our web app that contain catalog items, sub-total, local sales tax - then send that over to Square POS API.  It doesn't look like we can send itemized sales to Square POS.

We really want to continue using Square POS but we want to have full reporting in our sales dashboard that comes with itemized sales.

What is the best path to create a flow that gets itemized sales reporting with the Square POS API serving as our primary means for collecting payments?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@ifixomaha You'd use the Create order endpoint on the Orders API Under Create Orders there is a line items attribute that you can use to add individual line items that should do what you're looking for. Then you can process payment using the Payments API after the order has been created. Once the order is paid it will show up in your reporting the same way your POS sales do.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ifixomaha and welcome to the Community.

Have you already checked out our Developer page? 

Tagging some Super Sellers who are API users here too for input if they have any:

@GoGoGuest @JupiterGames @LLCafe @ryanwanner @Minion @Ravenssong69 @page158 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9
Super Seller

Best Answer

@ifixomaha You'd use the Create order endpoint on the Orders API Under Create Orders there is a line items attribute that you can use to add individual line items that should do what you're looking for. Then you can process payment using the Payments API after the order has been created. Once the order is paid it will show up in your reporting the same way your POS sales do.

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Thank you @LLCafe! Appreciate you. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 9

Thank you @LLCafe !

Can the items in the order we created ad hoc?

If so, I am assuming that we will not need to integrate our internal catalog with the catalog API in order to process orders through the orders API. Is this correct? If it is this will be a quick and seamless build on our end.

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

You can create ad-hoc but the reporting works better when you use the catalog. I think you can do a couple of tests using the sandbox and see if the sandbox reporting works how you'd like. 

Message 6 of 9

Since the sandbox does not allow us to use a square register how would you suggest we test this in sandbox? I understand that we can create orders in the sandbox but how do we process the sale in the sandbox if we are not using the register? Would we just use payments API for testing since that will still show up as a sales transaction for that store location? I assume sales processed through the Payments API are reported the same as sales that are processed through the POS. Should this be correct?

Message 7 of 9
Super Seller

Correct, I usually use the Payments API for that testing.

Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your time and help. I will give this a shot today and see how it goes. I really appreciate your generous help.

Message 9 of 9