x
Beta Member

Crashing and Freezing on Square Register

My Square Register has been having intermittent crashes, freezes, and slow downs the past two weeks.

I called into support a week and a half ago and the support agent on the line said it was a "known issue" and that it was being worked on. Where does this stand?

We're getting really bad slow downs where customers will try input tips on the customer facing display and it will freeze / not register the tip. We're also getting freezes where we can't input items and a que is forming behind us. Additionally, the whole register will crash and we'll have to restart also causing a slow down / que.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Super Seller

Before you take the time to contact square do a factory reset.  This sometimes fixes these super annoying issues.   Its the first thing they will have you do.

Ideally you do this at the end of your work day.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds and then follow directions.  You will have to log back in and reset the settings on the register when you are done.

I had a register that would act like someone was repeatedly touching the corner of the screen.  The only way to unfreeze was to repeatedly push the power button,

Message 2 of 22
Beta Member

Thanks! Just  did a factory reset - let's see how it does!

Message 3 of 22
Beta Member

@sammyg did you ever resolve the issues?

We have a similar issue in that the square for restaurants app on square register crashes. 

Message 4 of 22
Square Community Moderator

Hi @EUPHORIA - thanks for adding your voice to this thread. So sorry to hear about the continued trouble with your Register. Were you able to find success using the troubleshooting steps listed above by Valentina? They have been proven to weed out any software issues that may arise, specifically the factory reset, as well.

If you've tried the available troubleshooting and are still encountering errors, we would recommend reaching out to our Support Team immediately.

Also a quick note, it looks like you chimed in on a couple of our Register threads, so just to be sure you see my response, I am going to also respond via those threads as well. I will keep an eye out for your response!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 22
Beta Member

@Joe I have tried all the troubleshooting steps and the reason I am posting on other threads is that I did contact the support team and was told that not enough sellers are having an issue so it's not a priority.   So I am seeing if there are more sellers with this problem and if they found a resolution on their own since Square does not seem to think it's a priority. 

It does seem strange though that if Square supports Square for Restaurants on Square register and we are having the same problem on two registers (we only have two) that Square would not make it more of a priority to fix. 

Message 6 of 22
Beta Member

@Joe  @maeve  its now been more than four weeks and we are still experiencing these issues. Slow downs, app restarting and losing inputs and screen freezes were you can't input anything.  Can this please be made a priority?  

Message 7 of 22
Alumni

I'm so sorry to hear about the continued troubles, @EUPHORIA.

I would encourage you to reach back our to our Customer Success team, and specifically ask to be connected with the Hardware Team. Our Hardware Team supports the Square Register and Square Terminal products, and should be able to get you where you need to be - or help with the warranty process, if that's the next step.

Valentina
Message 8 of 22

I'm responding to your post re: reaching out to Customer Success and to include my voice in this frustrating, ongoing issue.  Just like many others, I've been dealing with my register crashing for months.  I've reached out to the CS team multiple times, including today.  I've been told many times - including today - that someone would get back with me.  Thus far - no response. We'll see what happens today. 

Bruce
Message 9 of 22

Odd thing, I've been having that same issue but with a certain set of clients. I have a couple that comes in a the past few times including just today upon checkout my tablet crashes. I tried three times on one account, then tried on my phone with the partners account. The app crashed twice. I finally had to take Venmo. I even restarted this morning in anticipation of them coming in today. It's so random. Perhaps human electric currents? It's irritating and makes me look so unprofessional and I get hot from it.

Message 10 of 22
Alumni

Strange, and the OS on both devices are up to date correct? I would try reaching out to our CS Team to get an Engineering Ticket filed if CS is able to reproduce the issue. @BrowbeatWill

Justin
Message 11 of 22

Yes. Both are up to date. The interesting thing is the charge worked on the very next client. 

Message 12 of 22

Interesting indeed, @BrowbeatWill - hopefully you longer encounter this type of issue, but if you do, we would recommend flagging this over to our Support Team directly as Justin stated above. They can deep-dive with you to try to identify where the issue is.

Joe
Message 13 of 22

We have been having the same issue across all 10 of our locations. Called CS called Tech spoke to engineers did reset after reset after reset. It’s a daily nightmare! 

Message 14 of 22
Beta Member

Exactly the same issues as everyone else, we have now moved to clover because Square have been unable to fix these issues within a reasonable timeframe - slow downs, laggy inputs, lack of accessory support, and many other issues with the hardware and software have made us jump ship, and the difference is so clear. 

Clover is responsive, so far reliable and the software is second to none and accessories it supports is massive! - plus payment processing fees are cheaper in comparison. 

sorry Square but maybe you should be making this your priority rather than adding new features for a while. 

Message 15 of 22
Beta Member

We’re having these issues too, using Square for Restaurants. 

Message 16 of 22
Beta Member

I have also been having these issues over the last month with my Square Register. 

Message 17 of 22

Hello @marleymae

We recommend checking to make sure that your Square Register is up to date and follow these troubleshooting steps. If everything looks good there, you'll want to reach out.

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our Hardware team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Message 18 of 22
Beta Member

I have 11 registers in our store. 3 of these registers are freezing many times per day. We are running Square for Retail (beta)  The 3 registers that are giving us problems have scales connected to them. 

Message 19 of 22

Hello @rmadler

And welcome to our Seller Community, you've found the best place for Sellers to collaborate. 

We have a list of troubleshooting steps here that I would recommend checking out. 

Give them a go and let me know if that helps, sometimes a factory reset can help with the freezes. 

If you go through all the steps and continue to experience issues, remember our hardware is covered by a limited warranty and you might be eligible for an exchange. 

Contact us here to discuss that option with our Support team.

Thank you

Frances
Message 20 of 22

@rmadlerdid you ever resolve this? We have certain clients reporting similar Square Register issues when a USB scale is attached.

Message 21 of 22