x

Feature Request: Square Gift Card and eGift Card redemption via a third-party website

Feature Request: Square Gift Card and eGift Card redemption via a third-party website

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can Square gift cards be used in my Wix site?

We use Wix to host our small business website and just upgraded to their online store functionality becuase it gave us the ability to customize and look like a cohesive party of our website. 

We are still using Square to process our payments. We were wondering if Square gift cards and discount codes can still be redeemed on our website?

We've been really happy with our service with Square but really need more customization for selling our classes. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

133 Comments

I set up gift cards in GoDaddy using Square as Square is the payment provider. Our customers cannot redeem their gift cards through GoDaddy. We reached out to GoDaddy and they see everything was set up correctly. 

Customers are receiving messages that they have to redeem gift card if the amount on their cart is the full amount on the GC. 

Using Square as a payment provider only and PayPal we cannot issue store credits, which is all we offer. Square told us that what other businesses do is send gift cards for customers to redeem as a credit. 

How do we set it up so customers can pay with their GC and it work plus pay the remaining balance with another form of payment? 

Please help bc this is causing a HUGE issue and no one responds in Square! 

Thank you! 

Try entering the portion of said GC and then what additional payment method next.

Square Community Moderator

Hey @shop_habb you cannot split up a gift card payment if the gift card can cover the entire balance of the online order. But, it sounds like you're using an API to connect your online order payments to Square? If so, you may want to look at SqPaymentForm. 

With the SqPaymentForm you have the ability to accept gift cards. Buyers are able to submit Square Gift Cards by keying in only a card number.

To get started with the gift card payment form please take a look at our Gift Card Payments

I am a small business consultant. Almost all of my clients use Square.

In both Woocommerce and Square forums, people have been requesting this integration for over 4 years.

* Over 3.3 million websites use Woocommerce. 

* WooCommerce powers over 28.19% of all online stores. 
* WooCommerce is the most popular plugin/module on the entire internet – with 68% usage distribution.

Not only is it bad customer service to ignore a popular and logical customer request for many years, it's bad business. Square is losing out on a lot of money. 

* Online gift card sales nearly matches in-store sales, at around 50%.
* WalletHub says that annual gift card sales is around $150 billion dollars. So, online gift card sales is around $75 billion.
* Physical gift cards are the most popular (89%). E-cards are constantly growing in popularity.
* About 14% of all sales are done on-line.
* Businesses typically generate anywhere from 1% to 5% of overall revenue from gift card sales.

Assume you're customers are all small businesses that make $50,000 a year. Online sales per Square customers would be $7000. If 1% of that comes from gift card sales, that is $70 a year. The 2.9% square fee is $2.03 per business per year. It doesn't seem like much. Until you consider that Square has 2 million users. If 68% of them are using WooCommerce, that paltry $2.03 a year actually generates $2,760,800 every year. And that doesn't include the additional 30 cent charge for transaction. 

By ignoring the requests of your customers for the past 4 years, Square has lost out on at least $11 million. 

I found all of my statistics and numbers in in about 5 minutes of research on Google. I chose fairly low income numbers so I could show how even in that low end you are losing tons of money. 

It is in the best interest of both your customers and Square to allow Woocommerce to accept Square gift cards. 

I have to ask why the Square CFOs over the years have not done basic research on this. Does Amrita Ahuja know how much revenue Square is losing because of the ignored requests of customers? Imagine the jobs you could create with an extra $2.7 million a year. How many prospective customers chose NOT to use square because of this issue? What will it take for Square to listen to their customers and provide the services they need?

I am tempted to recommend to my clients that they switch to another processing company because they are losing out on sales by not being able to offer a gift card that can be used in store and on-line.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @rsonancesf - thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community. We not only appreciate you leaving your feedback on this Feature Request, but we are also excited that you joined us here for the first time! We hope the Community can prove to be a valuable resource as you learn to grow your business with Square!

In regards to this feature - we hear you. We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business.

These requests also span an array of different aspects of our products; some are more major, while some are periphery features. Our Product Teams do have a road-map for future additions to our offering, but the nature of our work includes trial, error, and set-backs. So sharing a timeline would be far from accurate and more than likely cause more confusion and angst. 

We understand that it might be difficult waiting for something to be built out, but our engineers are working on various different requests brought up by our sellers, and working with Apple, Google, and our other partners in order to approve these changes and be able to push them out in future updates.

Going forward, we will continue to update this thread as we have more info to share. Thanks for hanging tough!

Why is it that this thread is over 3 years old and Wix has not created a solution to accept Square gift cards?? Doesn't seem like it's on the product team's list of things that matter.. 

Beta Member

Fix this!!!!

Hello, 

I would like to know, if it is possible to redeem Square Plastic Cards through the BigCommerce.

Thank you.

Admin

Hey @IslandGypsy-

BigCommerce doesn't have an integration built that supports physical gift cards, though it is something their Product Development team has claimed to be looking to develop. Until then, Square Gift Cards cannot be processed on BigCommerce websites. 

Sorry about that! 

Thank you.