x
Beta Member

*Sorted* Star Micronics Printer Driven Cash Drawer Not Working

Recently bought the Star Micronics USB Receipt Printer and Printer Driven Cash Drawer from the Square store. Plugged all the cables in properly but only the printer works when completing a sale and the drawer doesn’t open regardless, only by using the key manually.

Can anyone please help? I’ve tried ringing Star Micronics but they haven’t helped. The only thing to do is test it using a separate piece of software that releases the drawer mechanism to see whether it’s a faulty drawer. Square Support only read through the troubleshooting guide. Nothings working:( bit disappointed really as I’ve paid a lot of money for this.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 7
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

Honestly, I have no idea what I did. I connected everything at the start...nothing was working. So I tried again today, reconnected everything...created a new printer station and voila!

Variables I had last time...

- Receipts were OFF

- In-order tickets ON

- Order number stubs ON

So what did I do differently? I turned print receipts to ON and left it at manual - as we urge customers to receive their's digitally; saves paper really.

And when I did that, the test cash drawer button ignited. It opens 🤗 I can now rest easily tonight for tomorrow's service.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

@thecafeguy Have you been able to test it with the star app to check the draw? 

It could be something as simple as the key being in the wrong position keeping the draw locked even when released. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Nah mate, it's printer driven and the receipt printer isn't via bluetooth or lan only USB. So its even harder to diagnose via that. Stuck really. I reckon it's a faulty cash drawer as the 'Test Drawer' button should light up if it was working.

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

Best Answer

Honestly, I have no idea what I did. I connected everything at the start...nothing was working. So I tried again today, reconnected everything...created a new printer station and voila!

Variables I had last time...

- Receipts were OFF

- In-order tickets ON

- Order number stubs ON

So what did I do differently? I turned print receipts to ON and left it at manual - as we urge customers to receive their's digitally; saves paper really.

And when I did that, the test cash drawer button ignited. It opens 🤗 I can now rest easily tonight for tomorrow's service.

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

@thecafeguy 👍🏻 

That actually makes sense, although I'd have never come up with that! 

Glad it's all working now. If you get the star app for for the printer you can update settings & it'll let you test/open the draw too.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 5 of 7

My cash drawer only opens about 2 inches to show the first row of coin trays but won't open all the way, Square said it was faulty but it opens, does it have a lock for transport?  Its new and only just set up tonight.  Can anyone help?

Message 6 of 7
Admin

Hi @Olga_ORFC, apologies for the delayed response and to hear you're running into this. 

It's hard to know as we can't see your account or the printer here. It sounds like the printer is jammed and that you've already run through troubleshooting with our customer support team. 

I had a look and if this is the printer you have purchased, I can't see that a key should have been included. 

Please let me know if this issue is ongoing or if you've worked out a solution with our support team. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 7 of 7