x
Admin

Accept Afterpay In Person!

Afterpay is a buy now, pay later (BNPL) payment method that allows customers to pay in four installments over six weeks. Merchants get paid in full – immediately.

Afterpay acceptance is currently available In-Person with Square Point of Sale, Square for Retail, Square Appointments, Square for Restaurants and Virtual Terminal.

Afterpay In Person.jpeg

Compatible Hardware

Your Square hardware—including Square Register, Square Terminal, Square Stand and Square Reader for contactless and chip—will allow customers to pay for in-person goods and services using their Afterpay Card via Apple Pay and Google Pay.

Set up is easy—your Square hardware will automatically be set up so your customers can pay for in-person goods or services as soon as Afterpay is enabled from your online Square Dashboard. No additional integration or hardware setup is required. 

Pricing

Square sellers using Afterpay get paid the full amount at the time of purchase, minus a processing fee on the total order. Enabling Afterpay with Square is free — there are no monthly fees or startup costs. You only pay when you make a sale. There are no processing fees charged on the remaining installments or if your customer makes a late payment.

Promotion: Payments processed in person will have a discounted processing rate of 2.6% + 30 cents through Sept 10, 2022. After this promotional period, Afterpay processing rates will be 6% + 30 cents.

Note: Afterpay rates are fixed and do not vary by subscription type, hardware, or custom pricing.

Eligibility

To see if you are eligible for Afterpay and Square, log into your Square Dashboard and review your
Payment Methods.

Eligibility for Afterpay is dependent on numerous factors, including how your business is structured and what you sell:

• Sellers must be in an approved merchant category
  • Sellers must be based in the United States or Australia
  • Sellers cannot have multiple Tax Identification Numbers (TINs)
  • Seller accounts must be registered as a Sole-Proprietor (rather than using an EIN)

If Afterpay is available to your business, you can toggle on Afterpay acceptance both Online and In-person from within this setting. If you are listed as Ineligible, you cannot accept payments using Afterpay at this time.

We are working to expand Afterpay availability over time to allow more sellers to accept Afterpay within their business. Review our Afterpay Merchant Terms for more information.

Enable or Disable Afterpay

You can enable or disable Afterpay at any time by toggling In-person on/off via your Payment Methods settings.

In Dashboard:

Square_Dashboard_-_Account_Settings_-_Payment_Methods_-_AU.jpeg

In app:

Square_POS_App_-_Settings_-_Payment_-_Afterpay_-_AU.png

Accept Afterpay In-Person

Once you've enabled Afterpay, you can accept payments as you normally would with a card, cash, or other payment option.

1. Add items to cart or enter a custom amount. The total transaction must be between $1.00 and $2,000.
  2. Tap Review sale > Charge.
  3. The customer must open their Afterpay app and log in.
    1. From the Afterpay App, the customer must tap Card > tap Authorize and pay in-store > tap Pay in-store now with Apple Pay or Google Pay.
  4. Once the customer has authorized the in-person payment via the app, the customer can tap their mobile device to your Square Reader, Square Terminal, Square Stand, or Square Register.
  5. Send a digital receipt via SMS or email or print the receipt as proof of purchase. The customer will also see the transaction via their Afterpay app starting with SQ*.

Interested in advertising that you accept Afterpay with a free marketing kit? 

CLICK HERE!

Feel free to leave any thoughts or questions below! 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Beta Member

This is AWESOME news! Having more options for purchases allows my customers more choices and more confidence.

Orlando Perrone
Owner
Perrone Technologies: The Computer Shop
www.perronetech.net
Message 2 of 17
Super Seller

I'm so excited about this.  Hopefully it will make it easier to sell larger priced memberships!

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 3 of 17
Super Seller

Awesome News.....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 4 of 17
Super Seller

Hi @isabelle 

Is there any news about when Afterpay will be available in the UK (known as Clearpay here)?

Thank you

Alex Jessey
Message 5 of 17
Square Community Moderator

@amjessey We don't have dates to share yet but we're getting closer. I've shared your info with the UK Beta Manager so that we'll have you on the list when we're ready to start beta testing in UK

Barbara_b
Square Online Beta Manager
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 17

I guess I am old school but I have never had to pay someone to finance my sales. The seller GETS paid by the finance company to use their sevices. I will continue to use local finance if someone wants it for 90days or 12 months same as cash. To me it just does not make sense to pay 6% of your profit for financing when finance company's literally pay you for the business.

Just my thoughts on this. I love using square have been almost since its inception but this feature I will not use. 

Message 7 of 17
Super Seller

I think this is awesome news.  At the moment we're not using it in our salon...but we were thinking about adding membership or subscription services to our line up...this would be a good way to grab additional sales with clients/customers.  Giving them the availability to pay over time instead of all at once.

Message 8 of 17

My name is Erik, I’m the owner of Beeline Hauling & Junk Removal.  We are a locally owned, licensed and Insured, out of Washington, DC. We specialize in bulk trash removal oh, but also offer other services like 10 Yard Dumpster Rentals that are driveway friendly. We make sure as a company to donate/recycle any usable items we pickup. We strive for excellent customer service by going above and beyond what a customer expects. That's our secret to getting request from returning customers.

Erik D. Henderson
Message 9 of 17
Super Seller

Hello @Beeline202 thanks for your question and welcome to the Square Community, we're glad you're here! Check out this article about Afterpay; I'm not sure if your business qualifies (there are certain types of business currently enabled for this service) but if the help article does not answer you question, please contact support directly.

Message 10 of 17

Hi HC_Charlie!

Yes we’ve called and they sent us to AfterPay directly and AfterPay said it was totally up to Square to allow/qualify our junk removal business. 🥺 We have a company called Sunbelt that we use to finance customers that wants financing. I love Square and really hope they change their policy and allow our industry (junk removal) to offer AfterPay to our potential and existing customers. It will be a game changer because everyone knows and trust Square…

Erik D. Henderson
Message 11 of 17

Hi @Beeline202  - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed Afterpay as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. Please see the post at the top of the thread from @isabelle, one of our Community Moderators, which has some additional details on Afterpay and eligibility.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂 Thank you for your assistance here, @HC_Charlie ! 

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 17

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m excited to be a part of the seller community!

Erik D. Henderson
Message 13 of 17

I have activated After Pay for at least a year but I don't see it as an option on my Square POS checkout. I'm using the most recent 6.26 version software. What could be the problem?

Message 14 of 17

Hi @J-Mar - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to this thread about AfterPay. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Please see the post from one of our Community Moderators, @isabelle, which states, "Your Square hardware will automatically be set up so your customers can pay for in-person goods or services as soon as Afterpay is enabled from your online Square Dashboard." You'll need to enable Afterpay acceptance from your Square Dashboard in order to accept Afterpay on your Point of Sale.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 15 of 17

Thank you Violet...by the way is this Q&A will available to us? If so, how can we watch?

Message 16 of 17

@J-Mar The Q&A session for Cash App Pay will take place in writing, within the thread itself. If you have any questions, feel free to drop them in a reply and keep watch for notifications when the product team replies.

Violet
Message 17 of 17