x
Square

[New] Digital Loyalty Passes for Apple Wallet

Hi Sellers, 🌟

Introducing digital loyalty passes for Apple Wallet!

Available now to businesses using Square Loyalty on Square Register, Square Stand, and Square Reader for Contactless and Chip.

Give new customers more ways to enroll. When customers use Apple Pay at checkout, they can enroll in your loyalty program right from their phone. They can also add their loyalty pass to Apple Wallet from a digital receipt.

Streamline the customer experience. Once added, passes are automatically selected and used to check in and earn points when using Apple Pay, easing the check in process and improving buyer identification. Customers can also easily view points and rewards on their pass in Apple Wallet at any time.

Passes can be customized to match your brand. To customize your loyalty pass and drive engagement with your brand, add your digital logo and brand colors by visiting the Business information > Locations > select your main location in Square Dashboard (edit the image shown under "Point of Sale Checkout Background"). 

Image_2.png

This feature has been auto-enabled for businesses using Square Loyalty onSquare Register, Square Stand, and Square Reader for Contactless and Chip. To disable, visit Settings > Apple Wallet in your Loyalty Dashboard.

For more information on Square Loyalty and how you can customize your pass for Apple Wallet, check out these support articles:

Image_3.png

Ciara Spillane
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Square
Square Loyalty
Message 1 of 76
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I saw this pop up at my local coffee shop, and I added their loyalty pass to my Apple Wallet. It's fantastic. 

I can check how many stars I have, check-in, and redeem my rewards using Apple Wallet. 

Thanks!

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 76
75 REPLIES 75

This is great but I wish the price for the loyalty subscription was more affordable for us micro entrepreneurs.

Message 2 of 76
Super Seller

@LoveBarbara.… As a fellow seller, I do understand.  But allow me to give you a different perspective.  Last year I decided to dive into a Loyalty program for the first time in my 12 years of business.  I was skeptical but only because I, myself, do not use loyalty programs at any business I frequent.  I consider them too much trouble.  Ha.

Anyway, without boring you with the details, in my 2022 ice cream season, my loyalty customer average spend as TWICE what my other customers spent.  That exceeded even my wildest expectations.  This year, I’m going to really be pushing my loyalty program, because of that.  I see a lot of potential, since it is obvious to me that it is going to more than cover the monthly fee in increased sales and loyalty.

All the best,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”
Message 3 of 76

Do you have any data on those regular customers prior to the loyalty program?

Message 4 of 76
Super Seller

@G2Tactical I’m sure that I do.  However, that is some serious data crunching that would require that I download 2021 transactions to compare to 2022 for my current list of Loyalty customers. That is going to take some time to setup a spreadsheet to import and evaluate that information.  If I can come up with something reasonable, I’ll let you know the results.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook

Message 5 of 76
Super Seller

@G2Tactical Here’s a quick, rough analysis of my Loyalty Enrolees, with a comparison of their 2022 vs. 2021 sales.  You’ll note that my loyalty customers spent right at $10k more with me in 2022 vs. 2021.  In my roughly 6-1/2 month ice cream season, that comes out to approximately $1,554 per month in loyalty sales. Of course, I had loyalty customers spent less in 2022 vs 2021, of about -$1,326.  The net additional sales is $8,779, or an additional $1,350 that my Loyalty Program netted me in gross sales.

And that was without making a huge push, with signage, etc.  I relied totally on my web site, some Facebook posts early in the season, and one mass email.  I really will be adding signage, text reminders to Loyalty customers to come back and redeem their rewards, and more text/email communication this year.

I hope that gives you a better picture.

ChefChip_0-1674757983532.png

Chip

Website
Facebook

Message 6 of 76
Super Seller

We are frozen yogurt/ice cream no food, and have used the Square Loyalty program for 5 years now. Here's a glimpse of our 2022. Yes it works!!!

loyalty.jpg

Message 7 of 76
Super Seller

Wow @perkits! That’s amazing! I’m guessing that you promote the heck out of your program. I’m hoping for similar results this year, once I’m more pro-active! Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

Any promotional tips or advice are welcome! As well as advice for regular check-ins and follow-up? Speaking as a person who hates being pestered, when have you found that enough is enough, rather than too much? Lol

Chip

Website
Facebook

Message 8 of 76
Super Seller

We ask EVERYONE at check out. "Do you have a number for our Loyalty Program?" if they say no, we ask if they would like to sign up. Usually the only customers that pass are from out of town. 

Message 9 of 76
Beta Member

I agree! Loyalty fees, marketing fees, texting fees, in top of $69 a month square appointment fees plus per item sent marketing fees, instant transfer fees…it’s OUT OF CONTROL. I have been looking into other services and there is 1 or two I am considering. 

Message 10 of 76
Super Seller

Best Answer

I saw this pop up at my local coffee shop, and I added their loyalty pass to my Apple Wallet. It's fantastic. 

I can check how many stars I have, check-in, and redeem my rewards using Apple Wallet. 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 76
Square

Happy you like the feature @TCSlaguna😊

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 12 of 76

Hi

I am reaching you out to get a help. I have setup loyalty program in Squareup and enable Apple Wallet integration.
How can I implement it?

Message 13 of 76
Super Seller

Text them a receipt. When they follow the link to the receipt they should see a "add to wallet" icon. Try it on your personal account, I did and it worked fine. 

With that said I don't think we have very many customers taking advantage of this great feature. It would be nice if we could send a blast text to all customers with instructions and a link to their account. 

Message 14 of 76

Thanks for quick message.

I have own site which has been built on webflow and try to launch reward by clicking "Launch Reward".
After then, it will show me seller's loyalty program, and I will add a button "Add to Wallet" manually. Is it possible?

Other way, in your answer, you said about that I can generate a link which customer can follow.

Can you explain how I can generate the link?

Message 15 of 76
Super Seller

@cspillane This is amazing! We actually just launched our loyalty program and so far, 2 days in, we aare doing really well getting everyone switched over. I have been getting all our customers who usse their apple wallet to add it to their wallet and they think it is really cool! 

Questions for you!

1. In the receipt section of my dashboard I am not seeing an option for customizing our apple wallet card look. Is it just taking whatever logo we use for digital receipts? I would love to be able to customize it a little more and maybe make the card a color!

2. I see that there is an option to tap the loyalty card. I tried tapping it on the customer facing screen instead of using my phone number to check in but nothing happened. I did notice that I do have different cards linked to it through my customer details in the apple wallet. Does that mean I can tap the loyalty badge as my payment and it would use my default card linked? Or does it not have a tap feature yet? I just noticed that when a customer clicks on their apple wallet loyalty badge it prompts them to "hold near reader". So what is supposed to happen when they hold it near the reader? 

So so excited to continuing exploring and getting my customers set up with loyalty!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 16 of 76
Square

Hi @Lovewell!

I'm excited to hear you're enjoying the product. 🙂 

To answer your questions in order:

• Yes, customization for all your branding happens in the receipts screen (we are in the process of re-thinking the naming architecture here to make it more intuitive; apologies for the confusion). From here, the logo you upload will become the profile image shown on your digital loyalty pass, and all buyers will see this image when they add the pass to their Apple Wallet. In the future we're hoping to offer more customization (love the suggestion of enabling pass color changes so that you can better match your brand!). 

• There are two ways to go about using the digital loyalty pass:
    1. The first is a 1-tap flow: when you or your buyer are looking at the payments screen + scan your credit card via Apple Pay, the digital loyalty pass will automatically pop-up and check you in at the same time as you're making payment. Apple Pay is designed to require the credit card for payment (Apple doesn't allow payments to be made with the passes themselves).
    2. The second is a 2-tap flow: when you or your buyer are on the "Enroll or check in" screen, you can pull up your digital loyalty pass to check in. From there, when you get to the payments screen, you can choose how you'd like to pay (e.g. Cash App, Apple Pay, or cash or a credit card from your physical wallet). 

I hope that answers your questions, but if not, feel free to continue to conversation with me!

-Ciara

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 17 of 76
Super Seller

@cspillane hi Ciara!! Thank you so much for answering!! Okay so for the 2-tap flow, I have tried tapping the pass to check in, and it doesn’t seem to work.. it beeps but nothing happens it still stays on the page asking if I’d like to check in. 
thoughts??

Another question from recent using. So when we first started if a customer signed up for the program, and used Apple Pay and emailed themselves a receipt. They could go to the receipt and click the option to track their status which would take them to another page and that would give them the option of adding the pass to their apple wallet. (I have yet to have a customer be able to add it to their wallet during or immediately after the transaction while using Apple Pay.)

Now, when I have tried doing that same method, use Apple Pay, email receipt, click link to track status, to get my customers to be able to see the option of adding it to their apple wallet- it’s no longer giving that option…. I have checked all my settings and can’t seem to figure it out. I know it’s a new launch so I know it’s not going to be perfect but maybe you know something I don’t that can help me out?? 
thank you again so much!! You’re an incredible help and source of knowledge! I really appreciate you!

-Rachel

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 18 of 76
Square

@Lovewell Hi Rachel! Apologies for the delay in getting back to you — I've been discussing this with the team trying to figure out what the issue might be. Do you mind if I email you directly so we can troubleshoot together? 

Ciara Spillane
Square Loyalty
Message 19 of 76
Super Seller

@cspillane Sure! I do think I may have fixed the problem. I unintegrated cashapp so now when it asks if someone wants to check their status it takes them to the square page that shows their stars and gives them the option to add it to their apple wallet!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

Message 20 of 76
Super Seller

Game changer!  Another reason that I love Square and Apple lol.  Now I have to see how to kinda simply it for our customers who have droids....but this I love.  We're setting up our loyalty features now and I think this will really hit home with our clients...plus we get so many now who ask about Apple Pay 🙂

Message 21 of 76