x
Admin

[New] Our next generation Square Reader for contactless and chip is here

Hi Seller Community 👋!

We are excited to announce the launch of our next generation reader - Square Reader for contactless and chip (2nd generation).

PD04998 - USEN Reader Launch Collage Hero Mobile.png

As always, our next generation reader enables you to accept secure payments easily, whether you’re on the go or working at a counter. Payments are safe and secure thanks to 24/7 fraud prevention, end-to-end encryption, and payment-dispute management.

The new, improved Square Reader for contactless and chip (2nd generation) features several physical upgrades including a USB-C charging port and a larger power button, but we’re most excited about new “under the hood” features that deliver an improved product experience! These include upgraded connectivity (BLE 5.3) with improved reliability and device pairing, enhanced security,  and a battery life that allows you to take 20% more transactions on a single charge than our first generation reader so you never miss a sale.  

Square Reader for contactless and chip (2nd generation) is compatible with Square Point of Sale as well as all of our industry-specific software solutions. There are a wide range of compatible accessories available including the new Bosstab Dock for Square Reader which elevates your reader and holds it in place on the counter for easy, seamless payments.

The new Square Reader is available now for $59 on Square Shop and at select retailers. 

To learn more about Square Reader for contactless and chip (2nd generation), check out the articles below: 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

I love the different ways this can be implemented! just wondering if the "footprint" or dimensions are the same as the first generation?

Message 2 of 9
Admin

Sorry I missed your comment @HC_Charlie! In terms of data footprint and dimensions, it'll be the same as the first generation reader 😄

Tra
Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

@tranguyen ;

Since this is New and Improved with new features under the hood, will we be required to upgrade to the New and Improved Chip reader or will we be able to still the older design?

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 9
Admin

Great question @Candlestore! It isn't required to upgrade to the new reader and you can continue using the older design as it'll still be working as expected. 

Tra
Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

ooooh pretty(in my Lord of the Rings voice) The Bosstab dock is gorgeous.  

I'd love to see how the pairing has an improvement over gen 1.  My current reader has challenges connecting to my iPad sometimes when it's unplugged.  

Alicia | PEINT
@getpeinted
Message 6 of 9

I've had real connection troubles with the Gen 1 readers, has Gen 2 worked better for you?

Message 7 of 9
Super Seller

These are so cute!  I always want to buy one for the salon but I have to remind myself that our technicians check out their clients through the appointment app on their phones (making it easier to track who did what, how long it took, tips, and payroll).  Love the new card processor though 🙂

Message 8 of 9
Super Seller

@tranguyen ;

I like the design of these, but had this pop into my head because of Marketing and Branding the Square name.... May I ask the reason for a cylinder design instead of doing a Square box design to market the Square brand?  Just a though for version 3 in the future?

Also is the USB -c connection any faster that the original conection?

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 9 of 9