x
Square

[New] Scan QR Codes & Barcodes from iOS device camera

Hi Sellers! 👋

Now, you can more quickly and accurately identify your customers by using your iOS (iPhone, iPad) camera to scan a ‘reference ID’ via QR code or barcode. This will add the customer to the sale and can also apply an associated discount. This functionality builds upon a previously launched feature that allows you to use a physical scanning device to identify your customers.

Before you can scan a QR code or barcode, you must:

• Add reference IDs to customer records in Directory via Import, Customers API, or manually via Dashboard/POS (more information here)
  • Generate a barcode or QR code (printed or digital) and distribute to your customers
  • Enable this feature by going to the Settings > Checkout > Customer Management
    • Toggle on “Scan customers using device camera” then toggle on “Show Add customer button during checkout” and/or “Show Add customer button after checkout” to enable

buyerscangif.gif

How to access scanning through customer search (scan icon is embedded within the customer search bar):

buyerscanner.gif

Tablet/SPOS

1. Tap on “Add a customer”
  2. Tap on scan icon within search bar
  3. Scan ID to add customer

Mobile/SPOS

1. Tap “Review sale”
  2. Tap “Add a customer”
  3. Tap on scan icon within search bar
  4. Scan ID to add customer

Sellers can turn on/off this functionality if they don’t want to see the scan icon in the search bar.

1. Settings > Checkout > Customer Management
  2. Toggle to enable or disable setting “Scan customers using device camera”

Benefits:

• Speed up checkout line - Reduce wait times and mistakes by easily adding a customer to a sale early in the checkout process without manual effort. Once added to sale, the customer’s relevant group discounts are automatically added to cart. Apply the right discount every time and streamline service. 
  • Personalize Interactions - Distribute codes to groups of your key customers (e.g. via email or printed identification cards) so they can be identified and have service tailored to their preferences (e.g. past purchase activity, notes, loyalty) in their customer profile. This is especially relevant when you want to offer a differentiated level of customer service to VIPs or club members. 

Example Use Cases:

A ski resort uses Customer Group Discounts to automate discounting for their Season Pass holders. Scanning the customer’s pass via iPhone at POS automatically applies a 10% discount and adds the customer to the sale, improving accuracy and saving time.

A winery started a wine member club to drive more engagement and customer loyalty. Wine club members receive a member card with a barcode that can be used to scan them to be added to the sale. Members then receive a pre-configured 20% off wine club member discount at POS.

For more information on identifying customers via scanning QR codes or barcodes, check out our Support article here

Please let us know what you think in the comments below and reach out with any questions.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

I'm excited about this! What a fun way to create exclusivity for your top clients! Also a great way to streamline checking out, especially when you're a one person show.

Message 2 of 7
Super Seller

This sounds awesome! I'm wondering and I'll have to do some testing...but I think my older scanner will only scan barcodes and not QR codes. Will this work if I put a regular barcode SKU type data into the Reference ID, and use my Square Register barcode scanner to scan a distributed barcode?

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

This looks like an excellent feature, would we be able to scan a QR Code or Bar code using the Square for Restaurant app on an iPhone or iPad? 

Louis Gerbier
Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Thanks srutz2022

This looks like an excellent feature, would we be able to scan a QR Code or Bar code using the Square for Restaurant app on an iPhone or iPad? 

Louis Gerbier
Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

2 questions:

1. when will this be available in the UK?

2. will it work with a barcode scanner attached to register?

Message 6 of 7

What about on Square Register?  How can I scan a barcode with handheld scanner to identify a customer for loyalty registration?  

Message 7 of 7