x
Square

[New] Square Appointments: Require Card on File to Book Online

Hi Sellers,

The Appointments team added a new online booking payment setting where you can require your clients to save a Card on File to book. You can use the Card on File for fast and easy checkout. 

This new setting can be used in conjunction with the no-show protection and prepayment payment settings, and can be turned on through Settings > Payments & Cancellations on your Square Dashboard:

winniecheng_0-1677097080776.png

Clients will now see a payment form to “Secure your appointment with Card on File”, and an error message if they try to book without checking the box to authorize saving a Card on File:

winniecheng_1-1677097103632.png

Learn more about how this feature works in this support article.

If you have no-show protection enabled, note that Square Appointments always saves a copy of the no-show payment card that clients input at the time of booking. This means that even if clients remove their Card on File, you can still charge a no-show or last minute cancellation fee using the payment card inputted for the appointment.

We hope this empowers you to enforce a policy of requiring a Card on File to book. Feel free to share any questions and feedback below.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

It would be helpful if we can choose what services we want pre-paid and what we would allow without payment. We don't want to require prepayment across all services we offer,  but there are a couple of services where it would be helpful to do so. Any idea if this can happen?

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 2 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @DLRosenberg great question, right now that is not a possibility. A workaround is you can set the other services up as "variably priced" and then use the "display price" field to still reflect the full price to the client so they are aware of it. Then when you check out the person via pos, the system will prompt you to input the price since it was set as a variable. Outside of this, there is no other workaround, it would be a feature request. I think this would be a great request and I am sure others would as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

We've requested this a couple of times.

We feel requiring prepayment for all services will reduce the amount of bookings we receive. There is, however, no easy way to make sure we capture payment for the virtual services we offer before they happen. Unfortunately we've had a few virtual clients get services for free- as there's not a glaringly obvious way to see if someone is paid or not.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

+1 for the feature request, and agree it can be difficult to see if someone has paid or not. 

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Thank you guys for following up on this request and adding your feedback! I moved this over to the Appointments Ideate Board which is where we are going to be tracking feature requests from here on out. If anything changes with this request a Community moderator will update the status to the next phase. Keep an eye out for the email once this change has been made.  I appreciate you guys and hopefully, this will be implemented in the future! 

Message 6 of 6