x
Community Team

[New] Square Subscriptions now Available on Square Point of Sale

Hi Sellers!

Now you can offer subscriptions or memberships directly through your Square Point of Sale!  This is a great way to cross-sell your customers at check-out with relevant subscription products your business offers. Conversely, you can also cancel an existing subscription or membership through your Point of Sale. Additionally, you can use Subscriptions add-on on your Point of Sale to easily look up whether a customer has an active subscription or membership with your business.

How it works

When a customer is at your Square Point of Sale, you can offer to subscribe them to an existing subscription or membership plan with your business. You will be able to pick the subscription plan through the Point of Sale and then add the customer either as an existing customer or create a new one. After that, your customer will be billed automatically for the subscription through the chosen payment method (Eg. Card on File or Invoice).

How to get started

In order to start using Subscriptions on your Square Point of Sale, you will first need to install the free Subscriptions add-on through the Add-on Library located in your Square Point of Sale app. Find out more about how to install and manage add-ons to Square Point of Sale.

You will also need to create subscription plans through Square Dashboard (you cannot currently create subscription plans through the Point of Sale). Once they are created, they will be automatically available with the installed Subscriptions add-on on your Square Point of Sale. Find out more on how to create subscription plans through your Square Dashboard.

What does it cost?

Installing the Subscriptions add-on is free and there are no monthly fees to offer subscriptions to your customers. You will only pay processing fees of 2.9% plus 30¢

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Beta Member

Will this new add-on include physical products? 

Message 2 of 34
Community Team

Hi @thebrainlair! Currently the point of sale integration does not sync with inventory. We are looking to launch that capability in early 2023. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Message 3 of 34

Can subscription offers be added to our Weebly website? If no, what other platform? The lack of this option is forcing me to leave.

Message 4 of 34
Community Team

Hi @Pugetsoundcoffe, the best way for you to embed a subscription on a weebly website is to generate "buy button" code that can be embedded directly on your website. This help article (and the video) talks about using Square Online Checkout Links and embedding them on your website.

At the beginning of next year, we will also have an integration between Subscriptions and Square Online (Weebly) so that you can more easily connect a subscription to any item in your catalog and include that on your website.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions!

Message 5 of 34
Super Seller

It is so incredibly frustrating when something that we've been asking for.. for so long.. isn't fully functional. I have NO IDEA how to get this out to my customers.... I need to create a a page on our e-commerce site (through square) and I feel like instead of it integrating like it should - I have to figure out. a work around- and frankly... it's exhausting. All I want to do is sell. When we sell and increase our sales, Square makes money. I don't get it.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 6 of 34
Super Seller

This is great.  I can't wait till the capabilities are rolled out for physical products.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 7 of 34
Super Seller

ME TOO! It's going to be amazing.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 8 of 34
Super Seller

I keep meaning to look into subscriptions for the bakery. Or maybe a drink subscription to the folks in our Harbor Village...oooh. You have my brain spinning. 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 9 of 34

If you are shipping your subscription does the software add shipping cost automatically or do I need to figure it into the cost? 

Message 10 of 34
Community Team

@HillGardens742 You will need to include the shipping costs into the subscription cost.

Message 11 of 34
Beta Member

This subscription is a good start but does not take into account creating subscriptions with specific cancelation guidelines and also if we want customers to charge monthly to a gift card this cannot be done yet. You also cannot add multiple items to a subscription.

Message 12 of 34
Community Team

@TobaccoLeaf Yes, all true. I'd love to learn more about what you mean by "specific cancelation guidelines" - do you mean having a minimum commitment period (eg. cannot cancel before 6 months) for a subscription/membership? I'll make sure to add allowing customers to charge their monthly subscription fee to a gift card to our product backlog. Lastly, we are currently working on the feature to allow multiple items to a subscription - watch for that in early 2023. Thank you for the feedback!

Message 13 of 34
Beta Member

Hey @jean_sq 

Yes, exactly we need the cancellation period to be 1 year for our model. Adding funds monthly (charged to the card on file) to the gift card on a customer's account would allow for much greater flexibility in managing their subscription. This way even if they do stop subscribing they can continue to access funds on their gift card. 

Because you can save both a card on file and a gift card on file we can link the two. Digital gift cards should be easy for devs to attach a card to the customer's account and easy for the store owners to manage across multiple locations.

We'd like to charge a subscription monthly for a 1-year term and also have a subscription for the maintenance. If we can do this for each customer it will dramatically increase our sales and reduce manual entry.

Message 14 of 34

What the the SUBSCRIPTION RENEWAL time frames, weekly, monthly and annually? Can they be custom, such as 90 days?

Message 15 of 34
Community Team

@AngeloTheLegend you can choose from :

Weekly, Every other week, monthly, quarterly, twice a year, annually.

I'm sorry but you cannot have custom renewal time frames (eg, 90 days)

Message 16 of 34

I have many Senior Citizen clients who are not good about signing up for things ONLINE. Is there away my staff could enroll them in a Subscription on our end if the customer provides the Credit Card info?

Message 17 of 34
Community Team

Hi @AngeloTheLegend , yes, you can create subscriptions manually through Dashboard! I'd recommend checking out our getting started article which shows how to create subscription plans and then add subscribers manually through Dashboard.

Message 18 of 34

Thanks for the good info! I currently renew my customers yearly. In a tough economy I would like to offer a monthly option that would reduce my income from a $225 swipe to an $18.75 swipe. However I would need 400% more enrollments (which could be possible with the lower entry cost) to maintain my monthly sales goal.

Message 19 of 34

I am thinking of more and more valid questions for you. Is there a DEMO we could see of what the customers would see on enrollment. From the customers point of view?

Message 20 of 34
Community Team

Hi @AngeloTheLegend, there is not currently a demo, but it's pretty easy to set up a subscription plan and generate a pay link and email it to yourself. Then you can walk through exactly what an end customer would experience. Hope this helps!

Message 21 of 34