x
Community Team

[New] Square Subscriptions now Available on Square for Restaurants

Hi Sellers!

Do you offer a membership or subscription products or services at your restaurant? Square for Restaurants now supports Square Subscriptions! With Square Subscriptions, you can offer and accept payments for subscription products at check-out. You can also manage your customers’ enrolment directly from the point of sale. 

How it works

When a customer is at your point of sale, you can offer to subscribe them to an existing subscription plan with your business. On Square Register you can find Subscriptions in the Utilities menu and on iOS you can find Subscriptions in the Account menu. On Terminal you will find it under More. Once you select Subscriptions, you can pick the subscription plan and add the plan to your customer’s profile. Your customer will be billed automatically for the subscription through the chosen payment method (Eg. Card on File or Invoice). You’ll also be able to look up customers with active subscription and manage their enrolment – all from the POS. 

How to get started

You will need to create subscription plans in Square Dashboard. Once the subscription plan(s) are created, they will be visible in Subscriptions on the Square for Restaurants POS. Find out more on how to create subscription plans through your Square Dashboard.

What does it cost?

Subscriptions is available to anyone using Square for Restaurants Free or Square for Restaurants Plus at no additional charge. You will only pay processing fees.

For more information on getting started with Subscriptions, check out our support article.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

Is it possible to create a smart customer group with subscriptions to create an automatic discount? IE; customer has valid subscription, allow for automatic free drink for in store purchases? 

Message 2 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @boldlyforge,

It does look like you can create a smart group but I am not seeing how to apply a discount for the free drink. I am investigating further, and if I have more insight I will reach back out here. Thank you for your patience! 

Message 3 of 7
Community Team

@boldlyforge You could create manual groups and apply discounts to them. Below is a link on how to do that on the POS (not sure it can be done on Dashboard). One missing piece is that subscriptions does not integrate with smart or custom groups. What this means is that it will not automatically add/remove subscribers from the group based on their subscription status. That feature is on the roadmap!

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Product-Updates/Customer-Group-Discounts-Now-Available/ba-p/25690...

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

Hi @jean_sq - Can you please give us an update if the subscription does integrate with smart or custom groups now?

Louis Gerbier
Message 5 of 7
Community Team

Hi @louisgerbier85 - i'm sorry but subscriptions is not integrated with smart or custom groups. To help me better understand, could you share your use case for why you would like to use custom groups with Subscriptions? Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

Hi JEAN_SQ, 

Ideally we would want (free) Loyalty customer to be able to subscribe to a higher tier of Loyalty and have access to specific discounts based on their new status. 

For example, free loyalty gives you access to a free 10th coffee/beer but the premium subscription allows you to get access to exclusive happy hour prices.

Let me know if that makes sense and if that is doable in some way.

Thank you

Louis Gerbier
Message 7 of 7