x
Admin

[New] Square launches Tap to Pay on iPhone for US sellers

With new solution, Square makes it even easier for sellers to get started and provide a convenient commerce experience.

kristen_0-1698722650333.png

Square today launched Tap to Pay on iPhone to its millions of sellers across the U.S. Available within the Square Point of Sale iOS app, Tap to Pay on iPhone lets sellers of all sizes accept contactless payments directly from their iPhone, with no additional hardware required and at no additional cost to the seller.

Through Tap to Pay on iPhone, Square is providing a solution that makes it easier for both new sellers and established businesses to conduct in-person commerce. Any Square merchant with a compatible iPhone can accept contactless payments by simply opening the Square POS app, ringing up the sale, and presenting their iPhone to the buyer. The buyer completes the payment by tapping a contactless payment method such as Apple Pay, another digital wallet, or a contactless credit or debit card. Tap to Pay on iPhone uses the built-in features of iPhone to keep the business’ and customers’ data private and secure. When a payment is processed, Apple doesn’t store card numbers on the device or on Apple servers.

Today’s public launch follows Square’s Early Access Program for Tap to Pay on iPhone, which began in June. Over the course of the program, a wide range of sellers found new value in the ability to seamlessly and securely conduct business with no additional hardware:

• Mobile professionals like contractors and caterers gained the ability to securely take contactless payments onsite at their project location.
  • Retailers found new efficiency through line busting and the convenience of helping shoppers complete their purchase wherever they are in store.
  • Hairstylists and beauty professionals benefited from the speed and ease of enabling customers to pay for their services right from their chair.

“Deploying Tap to Pay on iPhone has really enhanced the retail experience we’re able to provide our shoppers, in multiple ways,” said Franco Salerno, owner of Warrington, Pennsylvania-based Darianna Bridal & Tuxedo and an Early Access Program participant. “Our young customer base would rather use their digital wallets or contactless cards, and rolling out Tap to Pay on iPhone has helped us meet our shoppers’ preferences with a convenient solution that also brings an air of sophistication to the buying experience. What’s more, given our store’s large footprint, we’ve been able to speed up purchases by bringing the checkout process to wherever our shoppers are.”

Powered by Square’s elegant, intuitive software, Tap to Pay on iPhone gives sellers a flexible, mobile solution that can adapt to any environment while meeting evolving consumer preferences for contactless payments. Shoppers also benefit from Square’s software, which creates a smooth, straightforward checkout experience that provides them with all the information needed to help them complete their purchase with confidence.

“As commerce continues to rapidly evolve and contactless adoption in the U.S. continues to grow, Square is focused on ensuring sellers of all types and sizes have the technology needed to delight their customers and never miss a sale,” said David Talach, Head of Financial Services at Square. “Tap to Pay on iPhone offers a new level of accessibility for merchants to begin taking payments in minutes and processing transactions in seconds from anywhere in the store or on the go without the need for a separate payments device.”

Tap to Pay on iPhone is the latest addition to Square’s growing slate of software-powered commerce tools and provides new merchants with an easy entry point into the company’s broader ecosystem of innovative business offerings. With just the Square POS app and a compatible iPhone, sellers can gain access to a fully integrated technology stack that helps them start, run, grow, or adapt their businesses.

Square sellers and new merchants can begin using Tap to Pay on iPhone today by downloading the Square POS app on compatible devices. For more information, please visit squareup.com/get/tap-to-pay.

About Square
Square helps sellers more easily run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions. Square offers purpose-built software to run complex restaurant, retail, and professional services operations, versatile e-commerce tools, embedded financial services and banking products, buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, staff management and payroll capabilities, and much more – all of which work together to save sellers time and effort. Millions of sellers across the globe trust Square to power their business and help them thrive in the economy. Square is part of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ), a global technology company with a focus on financial services. For more information, visit www.squareup.com.

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Want to learn more about contactless payments and how they can benefit you later this year? Check out this article: 

5 Ways Contactless Payments will Benefit your Business this Holiday Season

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Admin

Best Answer

Want to learn more about contactless payments and how they can benefit you later this year? Check out this article: 

5 Ways Contactless Payments will Benefit your Business this Holiday Season

Message 2 of 35
Super Seller

@Ryan_M Ryan the Beta test worked perfect and now it is rolled out that is great news and it is working very well

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 3 of 35
Super Seller

@Ryan_M This is exciting news and will help a LOT of sellers be able to ring up sales without any additional hardware. Much appreciated. 

Will this feature be available on the Square for Retail app or Square Appointments? 

Message 4 of 35
Admin

@TCSlaguna We hope to eventually make this available on all our POS apps, but it's still in development for now. 

Message 5 of 35
Super Seller

Yay! We'll be so excited when it comes! 🎉🎉

Message 6 of 35
Super Seller

Does this only work on the newest Iphones? I still have a X.  Planning on upgrading this year. 

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 7 of 35
Super Seller

@Doran Yes, this is the minimum requirement from Apple: "Once Tap to Pay on iPhone becomes available, merchants will be able to unlock contactless payment acceptance through a supporting iOS app on an iPhone XS or later device."

Message 8 of 35
Super Seller

I wonder if the iPhone XR is supported. It was released the same time as the iPhone XS, uses the same chipset as the XS, but has slightly less RAM and not as nice of a display. 

Message 9 of 35
Square Community Moderator

You will need an iPhone 11 or above running iOS 15.5 or later.  Per the FAQ at the bottom of this page. @Doran 

Edited to add source

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 35
Super Seller

Interesting @JJ_Macrumors assumed it was Apple's minimum requirements. Someone should correct them. 

Message 11 of 35
Super Seller

Us here in the UK are still waiting 🤣

Just seeing the graphic though - would it be more intuitive for the info on the screen to be the other way up? So when you're holding out the phone to the customer the earpiece is towards the (with he reader bit) and then the text is the right way up for them. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 12 of 35
Super Seller

(Redacted by OP.  Serious second thoughts…)

This is very cool.  Lowering the hardware entry-point for startup businesses is a great thing!  I’m glad that Square jumped on this new Apple capability, and am looking forward to it being available on other, “lesser” phone operating systems soon!

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”
Message 13 of 35
Super Seller

This is so cool! 

Did I miss a link to where we can see what iphones are compatible? I'm sure most are, but im over here with a home button still so maybe im not in the running to try this feature out!

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 14 of 35
Admin

@Lovewell You will need an iPhone 11 or above running iOS 15.5 or later.  Per the FAQ at the bottom of this page

Message 15 of 35
Beta Member

I logged into the Square app on my phone, using the Owner account and turned this on.  My phone is available as the reader.  Then I logged out of the app and back in with an ID with a team member role, and the reader is not available.  Attempting to reconnect to it is unsuccessful.  Is this only available for Owner or Administrator roles?  I was part of the beta tester group, if that matters.

Message 16 of 35

Hi @TheCatHouse ! This feature should be available even as a team member - since you were a part of the initial beta testing group, were you trying this out while using our testflight app, or with the regular POS app that was downloaded from the App Store? 

Michelle (she/her)
Senior Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 17 of 35
Beta Member

Hi, @MichelleSQ !  I was using the regular POS app.  I should also mention that I got a new phone (iPhone 14 Pro), which is running iOS 16.0.2. 

Thanks,

Faye

Message 18 of 35

Hi @TheCatHouse , I've sent you a DM to continue troubleshooting.

Michelle (she/her)
Senior Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 19 of 35
Super Seller Alumni

Wow, very interested. I'm excited to learn about this!

Kamala Allison
Chief "Do Good, Feel Good" Officer
In store: 1528 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA
Online: www.ShopFybr.com
Message 20 of 35
Super Seller

we just had our systems go down this week where we were on phone back up- this definitely will be useful for us in those cases or when we're doing a "road" event.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 21 of 35