x
Admin

[New] Tap to Pay on Android

Hi Sellers! 👋

PD04378_USEN_Phone to phone_Android.png

We’re excited to announce that Tap to Pay on Android is now available! With this feature, you can accept contactless cards and digital wallets like Google Pay or Apple Pay with just your Android phone - no additional hardware necessary. 

Using Tap to Pay on Android is easy:

1. Make sure your POS app is updated to the latest version
  2. Add an item or key in an amount.
  3. Ask your customer for a contactless card or digital wallet. 
  4. Have them hold it to the back of your phone and you’re set.

Tap to Pay on Android is available on Square Point of Sale, Invoices POS, Appointments POS on compatible Android phones, and with the Restaurant mobile POS kit. There is no monthly fee to use Tap to Pay on Android, just your usual transaction costs. 

No additional set up is necessary. You can use Tap to Pay on Android right alongside your current Square hardware, it sends the money you make to the same Square account. 

For more help getting started with this new feature see here. Let us know if you have questions.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Beta Member

Could not get this to work on my Samsung S22 Ultra. On latest app software via playstore and latest android release. Gives me "Secure sessions denial" 

Message 2 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @m3tpe that's disappointing to hear tap to pay has not been working on your Samsung S22 Ultra. Do you mind providing a screenshot of what you are seeing? 

Message 3 of 26
Beta Member

I also can't get this to work on my Samsung S22+

Message 4 of 26

All of a sudden when I opened square appointments today I have an orange banner at the top of my screen saying the same thing. It used to work, now won't.

Screenshot_20230920-144635.png

Screenshot_20230920-144647.png

Message 5 of 26

Hi @BrowbeatWill - Violet here, following up for @MayaP.

It looks like your device is having trouble connecting to your Contactless + Chip Reader. I suggest starting out with the troubleshooting steps for the reader listed here. If this doesn't improve things, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 26
Admin

Jumping in here for a moment @m3tpe — can you check if the Developer Options is currently turn off on your phone? You can check and disable it by following the steps outlined here

Once you've disabled the Developer Options, it's worth restarting the phone and try to test the Tap to Pay feature again. 

If you are still seeing the same error, please let me know!

Tra
Message 7 of 26

(edit):

This solved my problem!

Developer options somehow detail the security settings within the Square App. I didn't need to reboot, I relaunched the app after turning off developer options in Android settings.

Original:

So we HAVE to choose between using Dec options on our phone and using the Square App? Is there a fix for this yet? I don't want to switch and reboot my phone anytime I need to process a payment, if possible.

Message 8 of 26

Same with my s23 ultra

Message 9 of 26

Screenshot_20230421_222104_Square Appointments.jpg

I also got "secure session denial" on Note 20 Ultra 5G

Message 10 of 26

Hmm, I am currently not seeing any reports of this right now for those devices @miau @m3tpe.

I would try our troubleshooting steps. If you are continuing to have an issue please report this to Customer Support so we can have our engineers address this. You can reach support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport

If you need anything else please let me know! 

Message 11 of 26

I disabled developer options and now tap to pay works. However, today I had a client with a chip card but not contactless. I used my magstripe reader, but got a promt to insert the chip. I do not have a chip reader. 

Message 12 of 26

Thank you! This fixed my issue 

Message 13 of 26

I have a Google Pixel 7 Pro and I'm having the exact same problem. I have tried reinstalling the app and have also removed my square top to pay reader from the app just to see if that was conflicting neither which worked.

Message 14 of 26

I also have a Pixel 7 Pro and am unable to use the tap to pay function with my customers.  I was chatting with support and they hand me go through a whole bunch of steps.  Delete the app, turn off NFC, restart phone, download square app, configure tap, and then it still didn't work.

Message 15 of 26
Admin

Sorry to hear this @OldOakMarket! Is there a specific error message you are seeing when attempting to take payment? 

In addition to the troubleshooting steps above, can you check to see if the Developer Options is currently enable for your device? You can disable it by following the steps outlined here

Tra
Message 16 of 26

Thank you for the reply. All it says is secure session denial and does not allow me to accept tap to pay payments. My phone I do believe is set in developer mode. Will that hinder the ability to accept, tap to pay payments?

Message 17 of 26
Admin

Developer Options can affect features within the Square Point of Sale app so we recommend disabling it and try to take Tap to Pay payments again.

If you have disabled the Developer Options and you are still seeing the same error message, please let me know!

Tra
Message 18 of 26

So I turned off developer options on my phone. Restarted it, opened the app, and IT WORKS!

Thank you for your help!

Message 19 of 26
Admin

Yay, I'm so glad to hear that @OldOakMarket!

Tra
Message 20 of 26

I did not have Developer Options enabled.

Message 21 of 26