x
Square

[New] Team member badges

Hi Seller Community! 👋

We’re excited to announce team member badges, a fast and secure new way for your team to authenticate at the point of sale.

Badges are physical, NFC-enabled cards that you can assign to individual team members as an alternative to 4 digit passcodes. They avoid the risk of someone copying a team member’s passcode, or a team member clocking in for a friend.

Badges are compatible with Square Reader, Square Register, and Square Stand with built-in card reader. The feature requires a subscription to Team Plus or Square for Restaurants Plus, and is coming soon to Square for Retail Plus (not currently compatible with Square Appointments).

If you have the necessary hardware and subscription, visit our vendor partner here to purchase the physical badges. To learn more or get help with the feature, view the help page here.

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

badges.jpeg

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

Excited to use this when it comes out on Square for Retail.

Maybe we will have the employees get creative and doodle their names with permanent marker. Then they can wear their badges while they work so customers know their names. 

Message 2 of 16
Super Seller

Very cool! Will this be rolled out to Square Appointments at a later date?

Will the badge also serve as a way to authenticate discount codes that need to be verified by a specific staff member?

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 3 of 16
Super Seller

Excited for the NFC cards coming to Square Retail, we use NFC cards already and this would be a great addition.

Randy Fulk
Korie's Kloset
Big Bows & Sassy Clothes.
Message 4 of 16

Hello, Just wondering if you are able to use NFC cards as badges for staff that aren't directly from "Ecard"? If I wanted to buy those cards from a different supplier would they still be compatible with Square Retail?

Message 5 of 16
Beta Member

this is cool however your food truck customers have been asking for in-person text message order notifications for at least 5 years. like really!! very disappointing.

Message 6 of 16
Beta Member

when will this come to the UK?

Message 7 of 16
Super Seller

Is this out in the uk yet?

Message 8 of 16
Admin

Hi @pigsnoseinn @tph - apologies I only saw your comments now. 

This is not yet available in the UK - I don't have a timeline on it at the moment but we will let you know when it's on the way 🙂  

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 9 of 16

I ordered some but unfortunately I did not know or read this u til now that it’s not compatible with appointments. I hope it will be since it’s pointless for me that we do everything with appointments. 

Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

I agree.  We only use appointments and it has all the functionality of retail.  The 4 digit passcode is too easy to watch and duplicate.  My employees started using my passcode, so now I have to change it often.  I also have employees that I have to give dashboard access to even though they should not be using the register.  (This is a permissions issue).  If I could implement badges with appointments it would solve both of these issues.
1. The passcode can only be used with the badge

2. I would not give badges to those who should not have access to the register.

Message 11 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @BWL

Welcome back to the Seller Community! 

We completely understand your concerns. It sounds like implementing badges with appointments could indeed address the issues you're facing effectively.

Your feedback highlights a crucial need for enhanced security features and more nuanced permission settings. We recommend sharing your thoughts directly in our Ideate board here. Where your input can play a significant role in shaping future updates and improvements. If you need anything else please let us know. 

Have a wonderful day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

Do we need a reader for our Square register of use the badge? We have restaurant plus subscription.

Message 13 of 16
Super Seller

@LW-5  At last report, the only option with the register and badges is to tap your badge on the customer display. I heard rumblings about being able to hook up a contactless reader to the register, but I’m not sure where that left off. @michaelmachlin any updates?

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 14 of 16
Square

Hi @LW-5 and @ryanwanner - thanks for the questions. Happy to share that there are now two ways to use team member badges with Register:

(1) Tap the badge on the customer-facing display.

(2) Tap the badge on a contactless Reader attached via USB cable to the Register's accessory hub. Note: Reader must be 1st generation v3 or 2nd generation. See how to identify your Reader's version here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Michael

Message 15 of 16

Is there a way to assign a badge to an owner account?

Message 16 of 16