x
Admin

Price Embedded Barcodes on Square for Retail

Hello! I'm here to bring you an update about price embedded barcodes on Square for Retail! 

What’s new?

Price embedded barcodes are now available on Square for Retail for iOS devices, and on Square Register. With this new feature you can scan a barcode that captures the item’s weight and price in your Point of Sale automatically.

What is a price embedded barcode?

If you sell items by weight, price embedded barcodes can help to reduce the risk of manual error. Price embedded barcodes can also speed up checkout.

Square for Retail sellers can now use any label printing scale that supports UPC-A and EAN-13 barcodes, such as the CAS CL 5500L scale or the Mettler Toledo bPro Terminal scale to print barcodes that are compatible with Square for Retail Free and Plus

These scales measure the weight of an item and issue a bar code label that contains both an item stock-keeping unit (SKU) number as well as the total weight or price of an item. When items with these types of barcodes are scanned, the item’s weight and price information is automatically captured on the Point of Sale.

To get started, create an item with a 5-digit, numeric SKU that is sold by a unit that’s compatible with your label printing scale. Print a label for the product and scan with a compatible barcode scanner (or built-in camera scanner if using an iOS device).

Is this new feature compatible with my device?

This feature is available to sellers who subscribe to Square for Retail Free and Plus on an iOS device. This is also available on Square Register.

Note: At this time weight embedded barcodes are not supported. Scales that produce barcodes in the format 20AAAAABBBBB are not supported.

Where can I learn more?

To learn more about price embedded barcodes and label printing scales on Point of Sale visit the Square Support Centre.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

This will help a lot of retailers. Thanks!

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

This is gonna be a great update for many retailers.

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 3 of 6

How can I set up square POS register for price embedded barcode?

Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Hello! This definitely a great change that many seller look forward too. Just wondering when the list of compatible scales were to increase. We currently use the CAS LP1000N Label Printing scale, which isn't supported on Square and already comes with a hefty price tag. So it would be nice if a scale like this could be supported as it has the ports needed and I wouldn't have to make any additional unnecessary purchases of a new scale. Not to mention that Mettler Toledo bPro Terminal, one of the scales suggested, is discontinued since May of 2022... Just would like an update. Thank You!

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @092 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community.

We don't currently have any insight into when more scales will be added to the compatibility list, beyond what is currently included. Should anything change, we'll be sure to inform our Sellers by making an announcement.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input! 🙂

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6