x
Admin

As a business owner, what is currently keeping you up at night?

Hey Seller Community 👋 

Today's question is...

As a business owner, what is currently keeping you up at night?

🤔

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 129
128 REPLIES 128
Super Seller

The biggest thing that keeps me "up at night" as a small business owner, is honestly probably the fact that I always feel like I should be doing something.  I can put in xx amount of hours a week, then come home and put in xx more amount of hours, but I always seem to feel guilty when/if I ever take a day off (that's not a weekend).  Haunts me like I should always be doing something, since there is always something to do whether its physical work, or simply organizing things better.  It can be a vicious cycle. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 129

Dan, I feel the same way. It's hard balancing life... It feels like no matter what I do, all the hard work I put into your business feels like it's not being appreciate enough almost, which is my reason for questioning the same. I feel guilty too but I've recently learned that I need to set boundaries and make time for myself & my family because that is what is most important. If you feel like you should be doing something else, then that probably means you should be! Don't question it. 

Message 3 of 129
Super Seller

Exactly @Explorganics .  Generally that happens mostly on the weeks that I don't have my boy.  As I've found on the weeks I do have them, work will always be there, and more so push it the following week, or later at night.   But here is to finding balance. 🍻

Dan
Square Super Seller
Message 4 of 129

Been there done that, What you need is a hobby, Something that brings you joy and most important alone time. As a business owner since the age of 13 you are always worried about others needs, wants and desires, yet without taking care of your own you can not do that for others. I do my garden, 25 bonsai trees, 90 orchid, coy pond and bird seed gardens. MY ALONE TIME!    

Message 5 of 129
Super Seller

Oh totally feel the same way.

I actually really really love the "grind" of my biz but I do have trouble disconnecting at times and being fully present- especially with my family. 

With that said- I think it is a good thing to be aware of it- because once you are aware, you can address

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 6 of 129
Super Seller

I feel the same way.  I have a ton of family weddings coming up and it is anxiety central for me to close so many weekends in a row--even though weekends don't usually bring in much business for me.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 7 of 129
Super Seller

ahh you got it though! Once its done an over, you can see and relax and have a drink or five 🙂

Dan
Square Super Seller
Message 8 of 129

I totally understand this. We feel guilty if we sit around. But you know, that's the reason we are successful- we dont wait for things to get done, we do it!! 

Message 9 of 129
Super Seller

@Mintmovingllc wrote:

we dont wait for things to get done, we do it!! 

Winning Mentality Right there. Love it!

Dan
Square Super Seller
Message 10 of 129

Same !!

Message 11 of 129

I feel the same-me and my wife both work full-time jobs. So last week we just needed a break. Now this week, I wonder how much we could have gotten done. 

Message 12 of 129

So true!

Message 13 of 129

Fight that feeling. I feel the same way but I am realizing more and more that I should have something in reserve for when the 100% effort really is needed and that good decisions require space to make them. Also my staff will not grow if I am breathing down their necks and won't respect me if I am always worn out.

(just my two cents)

Message 14 of 129

me too, exactly

Message 15 of 129

So refreshing to hear I'm not the only one that suffers from this. I own coffee houses and have for 30 years. But I still suffer from this every single day and night. The only time I can get away from these feelings is to work really hard and extra, extra long hours to take a vacation but then when I get back It's catch up time again. When you have a "to do" list that just gets bigger and bigger it's extremely frustrating especially when you're already putting in 12 to 16 hour days. Your customers and staff have no idea how hard and long you work or what it takes to be the owner. I guess the good news is I'd rather be me than them. 

Message 16 of 129
Super Seller

For me it's hard to shut down because I'm always looking for new items to bring into the boutique. I'm usually up to the wee hours admiring all the new styles for the current season and beyond.....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 17 of 129
Beta Member

Global supply chain issues.  Our vendors' factories are still shut down and products that are making it to shipping channels get hung up along the line, so we're low on products to sell. Yet, demand is still high and only going to get higher while supplies dwindle because the holiday season is approaching and our vendors are saying delays could be as late as February.   

Message 18 of 129
Super Seller

I have recently been affected by a shortage in my field as well.  It causes a huge blow not exactly knowing when material would come in, thus not being able to book appointments.  Hopefully things turn around sooner for you than February

Dan
Square Super Seller
Message 19 of 129
Super Seller

All of the above really! Sometimes, I step back and wonder how I have managed to get this far and how I keep it going on a daily basis. But then I'm reminded (sometimes by myself, sometimes by my husband when I'm having a melt down) that this is what I do... its what I went to school for and what I did for 14 year in the "real world".  There will always be stressors in every job or industry, and obviously more, when it all is on our shoulders to keep the doors open and our employees paid. It helps me to get back to the basics of reminding myself that 1. I can't do it all 2. that's why I hired the people I hired to help me 3. by remembering to plan, delegate, and follow up. 4. and at the end of the day if I didn't manage to do it all, it will still be there tomorrow!

Abby
Owner, Abigail's Gift Boutique and Abigail's Boutique St. Louis, MO
https://www.facebook.com/abigailsgiftboutique
https://www.instagram.com/abigails_stl/
Message 20 of 129

I always worry about how to reach more customers.  I'm a welder so it's not like I have a thousand customers. I probably only have about a hundred customers a year max.  So I always wonder how I can reach more people and get more work.

Message 21 of 129