x
Admin

Do seasons impact your business? If so, how? ๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŒทโ„๏ธโ˜€๏ธ

Hiiiiiiiii Seller Community! Hope everyone is having a lovely Wednesday wherever you are.

Today I'm wondering...

Do seasons impact your business? If so, how? Are some seasons more profitable than others? Is your business strictly seasonal?

seasons.gif

Can't wait to read your responses! ๐Ÿค“

๏œ๏ธ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 1 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

Yes, seasons impact my business. I work in the clothing industry As the seasons roll around I have to be a season ahead. My design has to be spot on. It has to be trending or the product will sit.

Message 2 of 91
Admin

Lots of pressure @CustomSelect ! I hope you have an excellent summer season! ๐ŸŒทโœจ

Message 3 of 91
Beta Member

Winter is hard for us 

Message 4 of 91

Winter before the holiday and during the holidays we have an increase in  gift sales and pie sales. Jan Feb & March we have a huge downturn in sales just been the industry standard since I have been in restaurants for the last 30 plus years 

Message 5 of 91

Lets also take into consideration of the weather. That has a big effect on Cold or hot Drinks as well

Message 6 of 91
Beta Member

I have an upscale resale business.  For 4 years we operated as an online business only, then in October 2020 we opened our first brick and mortar.  We are located in a historic downtown in a small town with a population of around 10,000.  Our brick and mortar business is heavily impacted by weather.  Heavy rain or snow drives people indoors and not out to shop.  Also, seasons affect buyers.  Since the COVID-19 restrictions are easing, many people are discovering our store and others that weathered the pandemic.  Our online sales are also cyclical with the changes in weather, as people look to change up their wardrobe to reflect the new season.

Message 7 of 91
Admin

Totally makes sense that online sales are cyclical. I'm always looking for new clothes when seasons start to change! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Love to see what new styles are available. 

Thanks for sharing @MJsCloset! โœจ

Message 8 of 91
Beta Member

Yes we are a North Indian Restaurant and Summer is our slow season believe it or not and winter is our busy season. There is a myth out there that Indian food is hot and spicy so avoid it in the summer. We have heard people say it. Winter is the opposite. Busy as a bee. I always laugh and tell people that more than 2 billion people worldwide eat spicy all year round. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 9 of 91
Admin

Wow - that's very interesting... I had no idea! Thank you for sharing! โ„๏ธ ๐Ÿ 

Message 10 of 91
Super Seller

Holiday season is usually our best season in women's retail BUT I am wrapping up a record breaking June right now. This June has been my best month of business EVER.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 11 of 91
Admin

SO happy to hear that @alexandriak! ๐Ÿ‘› Ty for sharing!

Message 12 of 91

We are a coffee shop in Southeast Texas, summer definitely affects our business.  We have Hurricanes, heavy rains and 100 degree heat with 100% humidity.  
We have great iced coffee and frappeโ€™s, so that helps make up for it.  

Message 13 of 91
Beta Member

I own a Martial Arts school and the seasons definitely impact our business, Summer is rough we have to change our business model from an evening only class schedule to a 13 hour a day schedule starting at 7:30 am, including a summer camp from 8 am to 5 pm. All of this just to make up for the summer vacations. 

Message 14 of 91
Alumni

Whoa that is a huge shift. Martial Arts Summer camp sounds like an excellent pivot. I would imagine some lifelong friendships are being forged in your school right now ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Aaron Weiss
Former Community Lead, Square
Get help in our Support Center | Join the Beta Community
Message 15 of 91
Beta Member

in the clothing industry summer Time is usually slow for us because you can only charge as much for a t shirt verses the winter or fall time when you can get more for products and 

Message 16 of 91
Super Seller

Yes, when summer rolls around a large chunk of customers leave town especially now things are opening again

Also when the entertainment business takes their breaks, my sales drop.

Renรฉ

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 17 of 91
Admin

So interesting that one industry can have a big impact on another! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 91
Super Seller

In a town as big as this it happens often and more now as during the filming season, they now shoot often out of town.

Plus the filming season is changing as more companies are getting into content creation.

Renรฉ

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 19 of 91

Hi there! I operate a meal prep business and itโ€™s definitely affected by the seasons. Thereโ€™s a decrease in sales during the warmer months. Most people are on travel, more social, or eat less from being on-the-go. Covid restrictions being lifted has made it even more challenging.

However, we start to rebound in August when kids head back in school and the days get darker earlier.

Message 20 of 91
Beta Member

Yes!  I own a lunch catering business and there are huge slow weeks after school lets out and summer begins as families take their kids and leave town for the first vacations of summer.  I cater for business meetings so nobody schedules those as much since so many folks are absent.  Also we slow down at Thanksgiving and all of December as people are on holiday and not participating in as much business lunches and of course businesses don't schedule as much at those points.  

For my coffee shop business, it is definitely less busy after graduation as the local students leave for their breaks.  Prior to that we are crazy busy!  I still don't completely understand the rhythms of it all. 

Message 21 of 91