x
Admin

Has your business ever done a funny promotion for April Fool's Day? โ€Œ๐Ÿคกโ€Œ

With April 1st just around the corner, we're wondering how many of you have done something fun or silly on April Fool's Day. If so, how did your customers take it? Have you ever been fooled by April Fool's Day headlines or marketing from a company? Reply below to share your stories with us! 

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Beta Member

I can't say I have ever done something fun or silly. We have been in business' for 8 years and now you have my thinking I should.

Message 2 of 21
Super Seller

same.... now what would be a fun April Fools promotion.

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 3 of 21
Admin

@DLRosenberg I have a feeling you could pull off some really cool pranks! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 4 of 21
Admin

It's definitely not for every business, but if it's a good fit with your "vibe" it could be really fun! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 5 of 21

It's always a good idea to inject some fun and personality into your business, as it can help create a more engaging and memorable experience for your customers. There are many ways to do this, and it doesn't have to be anything elaborate or expensive.

For example, you could create a fun and lighthearted social media campaign that showcases your brand's personality and values. Or you could add some playful elements to your website or in-store displays to make them more eye-catching and engaging.

Another idea is to host a fun and interactive event or giveaway that rewards your customers and helps build brand loyalty. This could be something as simple as a social media contest or as elaborate as a themed party or product launch.

Ultimately, the key is to find ways to connect with your customers on a personal level and create a positive and memorable experience that they will want to share with others. So go ahead and try something fun or silly โ€“ you might be surprised at how it can help boost your brand and customer engagement!

Message 6 of 21

Hello so far I have not. Been in business for 3 years now, but my birthday is on April fools day! Lol

Message 7 of 21
Admin

Happy early birthday to you, @Ha6๐ŸŽ‚

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 8 of 21

We have. We had a customer that relied on us pretty heavily. We called them to tell them we were moving to Alaska and that we were grateful for their business. They freaked out instantaneously, so we had to hurry and say April Fools.  That was pretty innocent. This year and a few up my sleeve. Everyone knows that April Fools is my favorite holiday. Yes, it's a holiday. For me anyhow......

Message 9 of 21
Admin

I think it's a holiday, too @Britney1! Would love to hear what you end up planning for this year! ๐Ÿ˜Ž 

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 10 of 21

yeah I did a whole post thanking my customers for their loyalty and how great it was these past x years, but i have to close up shop.....so will be holding a going out of biz sale. .... april fools, we aren't going anywhere, but you still get a sale.

I think it backfired though as sales have been slow ever since. ๐Ÿ˜ž but could just be a coincidence with our economy. too many customers had to close their own shops ( I sell supplies to bath and soap makers.) so so so many customers had to close. it is so sad. People can't afford luxury soaps and body products and Walmart and $ stores put home makers out of biz with their cheap products. 

Message 11 of 21
Beta Member

Honestly no, but I think that's a great idea!

Message 12 of 21

Since we are a music store (www.musicaltraditions.com), we ran a sale with Guitars off 10 %, djembes off 15%, kalimbas with pickups off 15%, tablas off 20% and Pyekosts off 25%!   So, every now and then, a customer would call and ask "What's a Pyekost?"   Cheerfully, we would answer "About $8.99 for an apple one at your local bakery!" 

Message 13 of 21
Admin

@Spadoukie This made me laugh out loud - love it! ๐Ÿคฃ

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 14 of 21

It might be fun to run a 50% off sale on some things you don't actually stock.  Might get some people in the door.  Hopefully, they have a good sense of humor.

Message 15 of 21

nice idea until someone sues you for false advertising. ๐Ÿ˜ž it happens. 

Message 16 of 21
Admin

In general, if someone was to go this route, I would recommend positive โ€œpranksโ€ over negative ones. Instead of tricking a customer, surprise and delight them. 

I like the completely harmless nature of @Spadoukie โ€™s joke, and someone could even go the extra step of actually selling pies at a music shop or other completely unrelated industry (just be careful about health department regulations of course). Just an example, get creative! You never know what it may unlock and offering an out-there product line may even become an annual tradition that folks come out for! 

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 17 of 21
Beta Member

Iโ€™ve never done an April fools prank for my business. But Iโ€™m thinking I may need to this year. 

Message 18 of 21
Beta Member

We often have a coffee promotion on April Fools......  Buy One for the Price of Two and get one free.......

Cafe-Wine Bar-Bistro
Message 19 of 21
Admin

Oooh, good one @iain697๐Ÿ˜‚

Elisabeth (she/they)
Message 20 of 21
Super Seller

No but maybe I should. Like book all my appointments and not show to make them feel like when people no show on me. Which does not happen very often to me. 

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 21 of 21